Letter Two

Dearest love of my life,

     Today I listened to our playlist non stop. We made it together throughout the last couple years. Our musical tastes vary quite a bit, but we both seem to like the old-timey sounds. We both identify with the past I guess. I used to call you my James Dean, but now I'm hoping for a brighter and longer future than he had. We said we belong in a different era, when things weren't so complicated. Maybe if we lived in the past things would've ended up differently, I would trade anything for a different outcome to this story.

     It seemed like we would always end up watching the classics. A couple months ago, we were watching Breakfast at Tiffany's, remember? Well I was watching, your head was in my lap and you were staring up at me with those green eyes.

"What are you looking at punk?" I laughed. You told me that I was just too beautiful to be overshadowed by a movie. I told you it was a classic.

"Babe, you put Audrey Hepburn to shame." I'd never forget it.

     They prepped you for surgery today. They started giving you new medicines and continue to keep you unconscious. An hour or so ago they had to cut your hair. You had so much of it. Your crazy mop of brown curls. I never liked guys with long hair, but I fell in love with yours instantly. Running my fingers over where my favorite messy curls used to hang was different, but don't worry, babe, you still look handsome as ever. Doctors say it might not grow back the same, the color or texture could change. It might not grow back, but I'm trying not to think about it. I'll love you no matter what your hair looks like.

     You look peaceful today. It's a bit of a relief because you were so uncomfortable last week. If I could take any of your pain, believe me I would. I found myself messing with my ring for most of the day. The doctors made you take yours off but I have it with me for when you wake up. Our day will come.

     Remember the day I told you I was done and that I couldn't handle it anymore. We were both crying. I guess you came and swooped in at just the right time again. I knew you were wondering how many more times you'd have to put up with my off the wall suicide attempts. They were becoming more frequent. I could tell it hurt you to see me this way. I wish I could just die so neither of us would endure this anymore.

"I just want to leave this place. You are the only positive in my life." I choked out between my sobs.

"Someday we can get out of here, just you and I. We'll move to Manhattan, start a new life? You know I'd move across the world to keep you here with me. We'll get hitched and ditch all of these losers. We may be too young but I'd wait until the end of time if you'd have me." You always knew what to say. That was the last time I hurt myself.

     Our fairy tale life is put on hold for the moment, this is just a bump in the road. Soon enough we'll be on a plane to our dream city. I'm praying for you.

I'll Love You Endlessly, xx