Prologue

"Sire," whispered Salemandrake, the servant of the great dragon king, who was lying on his throne made of gold and silver in the middle of highly guarded cave, "the Knights are approaching by the dozens to take you away. The prophecy is begging to unfold!"

"What?!" The great dragon King, Mondemore, bellowed as his tail hit the ground with a loud thud, shaking the cave. "It can't be true. My children can't go through this, not them." said Mondemore, while smoke rings were coming out of his flaring nostrils.

Salemandrake, who was in the form of a extremely large snake, was nothing in size nor power to the great dragon king, whose scales were rattling with fear and rage. The serpentine like servant coiled around the throne and tried to whisper soothing things in Mondemore's ear, but he was quickly shushed by the king as he sat quietly and thought. Finally Mondemore said with deep sadness in his voice, "Bring them to me, my friend. I wish to see them and talk to them before anything else unfolds." Salemandrake slithered down the thrown and off into another cave.

He soon returned with three young dragons on his back. They were very young, just barely old enough to talk, which is, indeed, very young for a dragon. The youngest of the three, looked up to the king with vibrant purple eyes."What is it Father?"

"I am afraid that we don't have much time to explain. I'm going to have to send you all away, in a different time, and we will all be separated for a little bit, but we will meet again. Salemandrake and I are going to give you gifts that you must use wisely. Alright?" They looked at him with confused eyes and Mondemore sighed. "Salemandrake, if you would please let the prophecy continue."

"Yes your majesty." While muttering a few words in a language lost to everyone but his bloodline and the royal family, he coiled around the three young dragons faster and faster until you could no longer see them, and then the world went silent.

Salemandrake slithered away from the three to see them properly, and saw that his work was done. In the place of the three dragons, lay three human babes, there skin so light that it seemed to glow in the cave. He looked up to the king and told him quietly, "Now it is your turn sire."

"Indeed it is." The tall dragon picked all three of the babes up with just one of his clawed hands, and there they laid so peaceful and innocently. With a quiet mutter and a drop of his own blood, the children were marked with The Snake of Power and The Scales of The Chosen Three. Then, Mondemore was forced to send his dear children away in a vapor of mist with a tear in his large amber eye. "Are you positive that they will be safe, Salemandrake?" asked the king. "Of course, my king. The prophecy for tells it."

"Prophecies can be no more than wishful stories." The king said sadly, then he turned to look at his old friend for what may very well be the last time. "You must promise me that you will watch over them and protect them."

"What? I cannot leave you to face the Knights alone. I will fight with you until the day I die!"

"That is noble of you, my friend, but it is not an option. I order you to look after my children until the time comes." Salemandrake lowered his head and sighed. "If it is an order, then I must obey. I will protect the dragon children with my life, and I will see to it that I fight beside you in the battle's to come."

"Thank you." and then, with a wave of his paw, he sent his last friend away in a vapor of mist.

Just then, he heard the guard dragons cry out in pain and knew that the Knights, a group of people that wanted to destroy all dragon kind, had arrived. He unsheathed his claws and fangs and spread his large powerful wings for battle. Mondemore, the king of dragons, was ready for the battle that he knew he would loose. He ran to meet them and saw that all of the guards were either mortally wounded or lay already dead. The sight of this made the rage flare inside him and he let out a ear splitting roar to show the Knights that he was there, and he would not go down easily. His powerful wings spread to their full extent and he soared high above him, baring down on them with wind and fire. They threw their spears, nets, and other strange weapons at him, and he dodged all of them, killing one after another with either his fire or just simply sweeping down on them and killing them with his teeth and claws. Blood and ash stained the ground and turned the once beautiful land into one filled with destruction.

The battle went on for a long time, but it was inevitable that he would fail, and he did. A very young Knight threw his sword high into the air, and hit the great king and tore his leathery wing. With a frighteningly painful scream, he spiraled to the ground and landed hard enough to create a large impression. The Knights then fell upon him, beating him and binding him until the dragon could not move and was barely able to hold on to consciousness. They took him away, and he knew that he would not be able to fight for a very long time, not until the prophecy unfolded. And so he stayed there, locked in the prison, constantly thinking about the prophecy of the Chosen Three, and this is how it was told:

The evil humans who seek to kill

and catch all dragon kind

Will bring down the mighty king

and his kin they will not find

And the king's three kin will be lost from the world

and be dubbed the Chosen Three

But they will return in a form not their own

and their father they will free

And these three dragons of Briarham

will be lead into the battle

That will decide if dragon kind

will be lost forever.