Interviews

So, I had the opportunity to interview RainySkky about her most famous book “Controlled”. Sophia Anderson is your normal teenager, going to a normal high school, having great, supportive friends, and can't wait to graduate and go to college. With her mom always on business trips for a job that pays more than enough, Sophie is usually left to fend for herself. All she has is her dog, Naomi.

Ricky is a murderer, who stalks young women, learns about them, then becomes obsessed with them. If they refuse, or fake their love towards him, he brutally kills them. Then, after he sees Sophie coming out of the movie theaters one night, he instantly becomes obsessed. He begins stalking her, watching her through her window, following her at night, and learns more and more about her everyday. He feels the need to control Sophie, to make her his. The last thing Sophie wanted was a stalker. He plans on kidnapping her, taking her away where he will have her all to himself. Will Sophie realize she is being followed everywhere she goes, and someone knows everything about her? Or will it be too late?   This book has a total of 509,460 reads, 5,766 votes and 1,448 comments! Wow!

What inspired you to write the book Controlled?

Well, what inspired me was watching a bunch of crime shows. (SVU, criminal minds, csi, ect). And also some movies that I have watched in the past about women/ men being stalked. Even a story on the news inspired me! I got  the idea one night about writing a book that involved a man stalking a young girl. I asked my best friend's opinion and she said to go for it! :)

How did the character Sophia come to mind?

Well, I knew that I wanted the main character to have a name that naturally has a nickname. Sophia, aka Sophie, fit best for this story. Or at least I felt like it did. And I also love the name as well. I don't meet many Sophie/ Sophia :)

Where you trying to get a message through to your fans through the book?

Well, yes and no. It started as just a book that I wanted to write. Because, if you know anything about me, I have a twisted mind, hahahaha. But then when it started to become popular, I started to put a lot more thought into it. I'm trying to say that just because you're on your own at times, doesn't mean you can't be strong and fight for yourself and the ones you love. For example, Sophie gave up something precious to save the one she truly loved, Justin. Or Naomi getting stabbed to save Sophie.

I have read the book, and it was very down to earth! How Sophie is so strong, and unselfish teared me up. Naomi was a very loyal dog. Do you have any pets yourself?

And, how did you start writing? Just by watching your crime movies or anything else inspired you to write?

Yes, I have 2 cats and a golden retriever living at my grandparent’s house. At the beginning I didn't plan to have Naomi in the story, but she turned out to play a big part. That was because I thought about when I was little and Polo, my golden retriever, had always been by my side. I felt like I would put something personal in the story and see if people would relate. And I just began writing one night, at about 11 o'clock. When I posted the first chapter, I hadn't expected to get a fan, or a vote, or even a read as fast as I had gotten one. That gave me the inspiration to write more and more, and then I ended up with a sequel, and short stories.

What is your favorite part in controlled?

My favorite part is probably when they first meet. It was my most enjoyable part to write, because it's when the suspense comes in, and it's where the readers begin to become drawn into the story, despite the intensity of the first chapter.

What was the hardest part to write?

The hardest part to write was any part that didn't involve Sophie thinking about Ricky. Like when Justin took her out to lunch, both times. And when he was stalking her. It was hard to include every detail in both of their POVs.

So different POV are hard to write?

Do you wish you could change any specific part in controlled?

Well, not specifically. I like writing in both of their POVs, but sometimes it was hard because the events corresponded with each other and I needed to get every detail right. And no, not particularly. Right now I'm in the middle of editing it. I’m putting in little events that weren't in the unedited version. Nothing too big, but now some of the bigger events make more sense.

Within all your books, which character is your favorite?

Oh, it's going to have to be between Ricky and Naomi. Ricky because he is just my dream guy, honestly, hahahahaha. He's everything I have dreamed in a guy. Take away the killing part. Then again, he did kill for Sophie. And Naomi because she is just one of the most loyal characters I have ever created, despite her being a dog. But I feel like even animals deserve to be a main character, even if they can't talk.

On which level is your writing personal and why?

It actually depends on what I'm writing, but with this particular book not extremely personal, considering I've never actually been stalked before. But there are some personal things in there, like having a loyal dog, and having awesome friends who will always be there for you :)

So did the idea of the character come first or the novel?

I know you wanted a specific character Sophie, but did you get the idea or Sophie first?

I got the idea before anything else. Honestly, I didn't even plan the book beyond when I first got the idea. I went to think about Ricky's name and I just chose it randomly. It's sexy and perfect for his character. Same with Sophie. I created most of the characters along the way, or their names at least, and same with some of the events.

Do you have any supporters?

Yes, I did! My best friend was the only one who knew about the idea at first, and once I began writing it, I told my mom and she began reading it, to my surprise, she loved it! Then some of my friends at school began to read it at well, and they said that it was great! It made me feel like writing even more :)

Oh, and I can't forget my fans! My lovely fans are the best supporters in the whole world! Most would follow me on twitter, some would PM me congratulating me on a job well done, and asking when I would update, and a lot of them would write on my wall. I'm friends with same of them on Facebook and we chat regularly. :)

So if you could have dinner with one famous person, dead or alive, who would it be?

Hmmm, it would probably have to be... Either Stephen King or Richelle Mead :)

They are awesome authors.

Are you working on any new projects?

Yes, I am! I'm currently working on a student/teacher relationship story. Everyone seems to like it so far, so I'm going to continue it :)

Aw, I love student teacher relationship books. What's this about?

It's about a seventeen year old senior, Avery Winters, who has a new English teacher, Mr. Taylor. He shows an interest in her, but she wants nothing to do with him. But later she starts to feel a spark. And that's really all that I can give away :)

Any hints to what will happen?

Well there is a love interest between Avery and one of her best friends, Hunter. Jealousy gets the best of people in this book.

So any advice for other writers?

My advice? Just write! Don't let anyone ever tell you that you can't write. Anyone can write, as long as they believe they can. :)

Thank-you for the amazing interview Rainyskky !

Thank-you for my first interview!