twenty-four - truth's out

Chapter Twenty-Four

There were always before and after moments in someone's life. Minor before and after situations occured every day. Some, however, were far greater in terms of difference than others. I was currently going through one of those great ones. Those big changes that could alter your entire being. I'd already been through one: before I was afraid of touching and after. Now it was time for life changer number two.

Before, back when the stars were aligned and we were all just teenagers joking around a kitchen table drinking hot chocolate and doodling orange giraffes; and after, when the guys had the general idea as to what had happened to give me Haphephobia, and I was willingly walking into a bar alongside Parker to get drunk and forget my sorrows. Me, who never drank, beside Parker, who even hated having me watch him drink, never mind consume alcohol myself.

As we pulled over in front of the dingy place, I recognised it immediately. Andrew's Arcade, the pub that Parker had become so intoxicated in that the owner, Andy, had been forced to call me in order to pick him up at 3am. Half an arcade, half a bar, and incredibly grotty on both the inside and out, it wasn't exactly the most aesthetically pleasing building on the block. I didn't complain. I wasn't in the mood to be picky, and I knew Parker was relatively close with the owner who was also the bartender.

Flickering lights, peeling plaster walls and the stench of stale cigarettes; it greeted me just as warmly as I remembered. Nothing had changed. The front of the place was relatively empty of all people like it had been last time, only a few customers finding any enjoyment out of the various gaming and gambling machines. As we walked deeper inside, that's when I noticed the difference. On my last visit Andy had been in the process of trying to get rid of the last drunken stragglers before he closed up - now it was surprisingly busy. Music was blaring, there were tables covered in playing cards crowded by whooping drinkers, others clapping at the recent winner of a game of pool. The bar itself was unsurprisingly the most populated area, which was of course what Parker was making a beeline for. It was the reason we were here, after all. To drink.

I could feel my confidence dissolving the closer we got.

"Just stick by my side. I'll make sure nobody touches you, don't worry." Parker said, grasping my hand and leading the way.

And make sure he did, very vocally pushing people aside to create a path as though he were parting the Red Sea. Nobody looked very happy with that and so I tried my best to shrink behind him and hopefully become invisible. Alas, I was no Susan Storm, the Invisible Woman from the Fantastic Four, and so I probably shared more qualities with the Hunchback of Notre Dame as I attempted to curve to the shape of his back.

"Parker!" A vaguely familiar voice called happily just as a burly looking man to my right opened his mouth, ready to complain. I peeked out from behind Parker's back to see the middle aged, weather-beaten face of Andrew. "Long time no see. Guessing that's a good thing considering you always did look brooding and moody when you were here, but sure is good to see you. None of these folk are all that good at listening to my problems. Tend to pass out against the counter when I'm mid-story or whine that a bartender should listen to their problems," A few drinkers shouted their disagreement to which Andy continued in a slight joking manner with, "Selfish bastards."

"Good to see you, too." Parker replied, and it was odd how at ease he seemed in this claustrophobic atmosphere that was nowhere near as pleasant as my sheltered home which now felt like miles away. Maybe even continents. How odd that it was only a twenty minute drive down the road.

"Who's the little lady?" Andrew asked as he was unable to have a good look-see what with Parker's massive frame obscuring me from his line of sight.