8

By the time Christmas rolled around I was pretty much living in detention. I truly felt there was no point of trying anymore, I had no friends, no family and no purpose, the only thing I looked forward to everyday was burying myself in the dusty books of the old Hogwarts library. I was eager to find out what the necklace around my neck was and what the events of that mysterious night meant.

"I never really cared for the library in my first year," I heard someone say.
It would be an understatement if I said I was startled; somebody else being in the library on a Friday evening, so close to the Christmas holidays, was quite a phenomenon.
"Professor Dumbledore!" I exclaimed, nearly falling off my chair.
"Are you all right?" He asked alarmed.
"Yes, yes, yes, I just wasn't expecting you," I gave out a nervous laugh then tried to hide the book I was reading.
He just smiled then continued.
"How are your studies going?"
"Great." What? It's not a lie! I'm doing great in class.
"I've heard good things from Professor Flitwick, he says you're really excelling in wandless Magic"
"Yeah, thanks to my brain, I keep leaving my wand in places"
"Speaking of which..." He said handing me my wand.
"Merlin! I didn't even notice it was missing!"
"One of the house elves found it among the dirty dishes, I assume you must have left it there during your lunch hours."
"Thank you!" I said gratefully and smiled.
He nodded then he turned serious.
"I must ask you Hannah, are you okay?"
"Yes. Why wouldn't I be?" Now that was a lie.
"I heard you've been having trouble with your potions master. He said detentions are quite a regular occurrence with you."
"Oh" I said glumly. "It has nothing to do with potions, it's just I haven't been getting along with many people lately and I think it's been showing more in potions than any other subject."
"Hannah, I have to emphasise the importance of friendship-"
"I know Professor but it is hard when... When people think you've done something bad."
"And what would that be?"
My heart shrank at that moment. I didn't like hurting innocent people, sure I would talk big to protect myself, but I would never have the courage to actually hurt someone without a reason, so recalling that incident made me feel sick.
"I'm sorry Professor, I don't want to talk about it." I swallowed.
"I won't interrogate you then, but I can advise you on something, set things right as soon as you can, friendship is important at times like these."
"I'm sorry again... but times like what?" I raised my eyebrows.
"Let's hope we never have to find out," he answered then waved goodbye.
"Wait Headmaster! I have one more question!" I called. I guess this was as good as time as any.
"Do you happen to know anything about a necklace? One that potentially has something to do with Godric Gryffindor?"
He turned around with a confused expression on his face.
"Why do you ask?" He questioned.
"Um... Curiosity. I saw this picture in this book about him and I was just wondering," A massive lie.
"Hm... I remember a history of magic lesson from my youth. The Gryffindor family was very wealthy in their time, I wouldn't be surprised if Godric Gryffindor had some family heirlooms, but as I remember, he lost most of his wealth during the war of the two races. However I haven't been in school for a long time and I was never a fan of history." He said.
"Thanks, I think that helps" I said and smiled. I swear I should have gotten a prize for smiling this much during one conversation.
"I'm not sure where I helped but I'm glad I could." he said and then left.

The war of the two races? Where have I heard that before? I thought to myself.
"Of course!" I exclaimed.
I quickly stood up, making my chair fall backwards, and sprinted to check out the books I came across for general reading while searching for information... They didn't have anything relevant but come on, who could refuse A Book of Useful Charms and Extreme Incantations? Okay, I might have had a soft spot for charms.

I ran out of the library and didn't stop until the dungeons.
"Where is it?" I mumbled as I searched through my trunk for a certain book.
"Ah! A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot!" I whispered.