Chapter 8

If you like this story, go like the facebook fanpage for exclusive news, short stories and character descriptions: https://www.facebook.com/StellaAcademy 

         “Who’s Katrina?” I ask, my voice shaking with fear.

         “Remember I told you there was one girl in the scholarship program this year?” I nod silently, “Her name is Katrina. She’s Avalon’s younger sister.” Fred explains while we hurry towards his dorm. The regular dorms are split up in guys and girls, but the freshmen scholarship students share a dorm because they’re always so few.

         “Avalon has a sister?” I haven’t known her very long, but I thought she would have said something about a sister, especially when that sister went to the same college.

         “Yeah, she’s cool.”

         “I bet she’s just as gorgeous as Avalon?” I mutter, not really happy about the tone of his voice when he just spoke of her.

         “Not at all as beautiful as you.” Fred sighs. I roll my eyes at him in spite of the seriousness of our situation. No matter what’s going on he can always make me smile.

         “Shouldn’t we take her to the school nurse?” I ask with a trembling voice, trying to get back to Avalon.

         “No. It’s not necessary.” Fred mutters.

         “Are you kidding me? Have you seen her? She should be taken to the hospital!” I exclaim in panic. Fred’s expression tightens, he’s keeping a secret from me, but I can’t be bothered with that at the moment. Avalon’s life is in danger. Suddenly she begins coughing, blood sputtering out of her mouth and her eyes opens in panic. A scream pierces our semi-silent surroundings and Avalon twists in agony in Fred’s arms. We stop moving to keep Fred from dropping her. Her arms flare all around and her hands collide with Fred’s face, he winces slightly with each impact, but luckily Avalon is too weak to do any real damage. Her screaming continues, transforming into a weird blood-curdling cry, sounding almost like the wolves’ howls the other night.

But then it stops again, as sudden as it started. Her eyes zoom in on Fred first then, turning her head, on me. Her chest rises and sinks at a quick pace, the panic is still evident in her eyes as they flicker between Fred and I in confusion.

         “Put me down,” it almost sounds like someone has grinded her vocal chords with a piece of sandpaper. Fred’s eyes lock with mine for a second and I can tell he doesn’t want to obey her, but when she repeats her order, this time more sternly, he submit to her.

         “We have to get you to the nurse’s office, Avalon.” I begin carefully, not wanting to set her off again, I’m pretty sure her previous screams has left me half deaf.

         “I can’t go to the nurse. She doesn’t understand, I need to get to Katrina.” She takes a step towards the freshmen scholarship students’ dorm and winces. “Freddie, help me here?” He looks at me resignedly before he grabs Avalon around her waist, supporting her as they begin walking. I can’t believe he’s taking her side of this. Can’t he see how badly she’s hurt? The blood is still oozing from the cut on her forehead, and if I could see her arms I would be able to see several flesh wounds, but since she was naked when we found her, Fred was a gentleman and put his jacket around her.

         “Avalon, what happened to you? Did someone attack you?”

         “Don’t worry about it, it was my own fault.” She attempts to smile but the pain is too much for her making her whimper, “You’re safe, Jessie. As long as you stay away from us, you’re safe. Thanks for helping me; I can make it from here. Go back to the party, and don’t think about me anymore tonight. I'll be fine,” she pants when we reach the building.