Why Him? - Chapter 6

Why Him? - Chapter 6 (Rewritten)

"You can do this Ella. This is just an ordinary school that you're going to attend." I tell myself through the mirror. I was beyond nervous right now. My legs were shaking, they felt like jelly.

I let out a deep breath and put up a wide smile. I turn around and grab my bag from my desk chair and exit the room. I walk downstairs to the kitchen. Ma is cooking while Pa is already situated at the counter top with a cup of coffee in his hand.

"Good morning family!" I happily cheer.

"Good morning sweetheart!" Pa jumps off of the counter chair and gives me a warm hug. "Are you ready for your first day?"

"Not really, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it." I reply.

He gives me a reassuring smile, "Everything will be okay Ella. I'll bet that everyone will like you because you're friendly."

"Thanks for the comfort dad, I appreciate it." I let Pa go and set my bag under the counter chair that I was going to sit on. I go over to the stove where Ma was cooking our breakfast, "Do you need any help?" I ask.

Ma shakes her head, "No, I'm fine. I am capable in the kitchen."

I go back to the counter and sit on the stool. Trent is sitting in front of me, his hair is disheveled. "Good morning big brother!"

"Shut up" he says irritated.

My eyes widen in shock at his response. I lean towards dad's ear and whisper, "What's wrong with Trent? Is he okay?" I ask, slightly worried about his unusual behavior.

Dad rolls his eyes, "Don't mind your idiotic brother. He has a hangover."

"How did he get a hangover? You went to bed early, right?" I curiously ask.

"He went to bed early just to sneak out." He looks at Trent and glares at him, "We trusted you Trent. You promised us that you wouldn't go to the parties that the humans held."

"I know Dad-" Trent tries to reason but this causes Pa to get angrier.

"No, you don't know. If you knew then why would you sneak out in the first place? I told you once Trent and you know that I don't like repeating myself." Pa harshly states.

"Pa, Trent, it's too early for you guys to fight. You can settle these like men." I scold the both of them. "Pa, you know that he's still a growing boy you'll need to understand that he's going to be a growing boy until he realizes how big responsibility is."

"She's right, listen to her father." Pa puts on a sour face and glares at my way.

"And Trent, you need to listen to Pa. He's warning you for a reason. You're eighteen. An adult, so you should know better." I smile sweetly.

"You better set those two straight, sweetheart! These two always bicker about the smallest to the biggest things!" Ma exclaims. She sets our plates down on the table along with our breakfast.

"Make sure you eat a lot Ella! That big brain of yours will surely need a load of food for your first day!" Ma gives me a platter filled with bacon, pancakes, and hash browns.

"Hey I get good grades too Mom why don't I get rewarded?" Trent asks grumpily.

"You came home with a hangover!" Ma reminds him. She crosses her arms around her chest and gives him the 'You don't deserve an award for getting a hangover' look.

Pa and I chuckle to ourselves. The look on Trent's face doesn't look pleasing.

"I went to one party!" Trent throws his hand in the air and huffs in frustration.