Chapter Two

It sounded like everything was under water.

I looked around and saw the teachers pulling Zoe down from the cafeteria table and confiscating the megaphone. They hurled her out of the cafeteria and in the direction of the Head Teachers office. She caught my eye on the way out and smirked at me.

I could feel the bile rising in my throat as I thought about all of ways I would love to smack that smirk off of her face. I clenched my hands into fists and stared out at the door, although Zoe was long gone, I kept staring as if she was still there.

Did that really just happen?

"Lily."

I took my eyes away from the door and looked in front of me at the voice, it was Terriana. "Are you okay?" She asked cautiously.

"Fine," I replied, jumping up from my seat. "Lets go."

***

I took a deep breath, trying my best to ignore everyones gawping stares. I knew that I probably would be the same and that it's only natural for them to wonder if it's true. But I wish they'd stop staring.

"I can't believe we're dissecting frogs on the first day back," Summer groaned, handing me a pair of safety glasses.

"Thanks," I mumbled, sliding them onto my nose. I looked out of the corner of my eye and saw her give me a reassuring smile, she knew I hated all of this gossip.

"Afternoon class," Mr. Becko started. "I hope that you've all had a pleasant summer and are now ready to get back to learning. You'll be in groups of three for todays lesson, I'll let you decide the groups."

He made his way over to our desk and places the frog and scalpels on our tables. I frown at it, looking at it laying there, lifeless. I wonder if it had big hopes and dreams as well? I wonder what it would have done differently if it knew that it was destined to end up as a science experiment?

"Do you want to dissect Mr. Toad?" Terriana asked, eyeing the frog warily as though it were about to jump up on the desk and leap out at her.

Poor frog.

"Um, no thanks, I'm okay," I replied, trying my best not to make eye contact with the frog.

"I'll do it," Summer moaned, snatching the scalpel out of my hand and positioning herself in front of the frog.

I tried my best to pay attention, I wanted to major in forensic science and so I needed to get an ok grade in biology. But, no matter how much I tried to focus on the board, I couldn't concentrate. My eyes started to feel heavy from all of the concentrating and I started to drift off.

I heard my name being called which pulled me out of my sleep daze, I behind me to see who it was and noticed it was Josh Preston aka Al's best friend and right hand man. Josh was actually a pretty decent guy at heart, he occasionally got it wrong in relationships, always jumping into them too fast and finishing it pretty quickly when he realised he was unhappy. Due to that, he got the player label, but I don't think he's your typical player, he just has bad luck.

"So you think it's true then?" Harry mumbled, leaning back on his chair.

Josh sighed, scratching the back of his head. "I dunno." He leant forward on his desk and rested his head in his hands. "You can't really believe anything she says, plus she hates Lily, so it makes sense that she'd try to start a rumour to get under her skin."

Oh she got under my skin alright.

"He's never spoken to her before," Harry said, frowning. "Well, at least not in front of me."