Chapter One

Today was the start of the beginning of the rest of my life.

It was the big one.

No wait.

Scratch that.

It was the one.

Okay, this isn't having the impact that I hoped. Let me just start this again.

It was the first day of our final year at school. Yes, you heard me right. Lily Watson was a freaking senior!

Public Service Announcement...

There was less than twelve months until I graduated!

That also meant that we had less than twelve months to study our absolute asses off, whilst making sure we also had the time of our lives. I had to admit, I'd been waiting for this day for a very very long time and now that it was finally here I couldn't help but feel nervous.

Life up to this point had been pretty much stress free.

Wanted to ditch the homework and head down to the Great Lake? Sure, I mean we had the rest of our high school lives to catch up right?

Wrong. This was the rest of high school.

Great Lake summers would be all but a distant memory now. We had so many responsibilities this year, including university applications and achieving our predicated grades before we even thought about being accepted into university. Plus, our final days were creeping up on us and I had to admit that I wasn't ready to think about life after school.

Hey, can you lighten up a little in here?

"Hey, Lily, mind easing off the gas a bit?" Terriana inquired, gripping the edge of her seat as we came to a stop at the red light.

"Sorry," I murmured, offering an apologetic smile. "Got a lot on my mind."

She shot me a brief glance before arching an eyebrow and remarking, "Just a bit, huh?"

I rolled my eyes and turned my attention back towards the road. There were a few preschoolers playing on the green opposite us. They had pigtails in their hair, glittery tassels hanging from the handle bars of their scooters and Barbie backpacks on their backs. I sighed, oh to be that young again.

When do you decide that it's no longer cool to run around with glittery tassels on your handle bars with your Barbie backpacks?

Why isn't it cool to do that? I might run a campaign to bring it back. Damn you society and your idealist norms.

The light turned green and I put the car back into drive. I reached to turn the radio up louder, hoping it would fill the silence in the car. Gym Class Heroes bursted through the speakers and I relaxed, sinking into my seat.

I mean, what a throw back.

I spent the rest of the journey bobbing my head along to Gym Class Heroes and relishing in my youth. It was numbered after all, the countdown had well and truly begun.

Lily you're seventeen. Drama queen.

I pulled into the school carpark and headed straight for the spot marked Prefect. Turning towards Terriana I smiled excitedly, "Ready?"

"No," she groaned, rolling her eyes. "Come on, we don't want to be late on the first day

I nodded in agreement and climbed out of the car. I placed my keys into my bag and hurried to meet Terriana at the back of the car. I linked her arm, gave her a comforting squeeze and then we made our way towards the front steps.