Chapter 2: Brielle

I looked up to see a pair of beautiful blue eyes. Brielle?! I pulled my hand away from near hers.

She almost gave me a heart attack.

We stared at each others eyes, before I looked away blushing.

"Adam?" She asked.

"Would you like a hand? I-"

"Oh, uh- Bri-Brielle?! Hi, hi Brielle, um-" I interrupted, a wave of nerves washing over me.

I just hope she couldn't see how easily her presence was affecting me.

I mumbled an inaudible sorry, looked down at the floor, and began gathering the paper, extremely regretful of interrupting her gesture. Why couldn't I just act normal for once?!

"Uh, are you okay?" She asked.

"I mean, would you mind I help you?" She offered generously.

There was quite a mess.

"Uh- y-you don't have to, I mean, I can do it, but if you want to help I guess-" I stuttered.

Without a word, she began helping me pick up the papers, the both of us in silence.

"So, about our next assessment peice, -the sonnet duet, do you have a partner?" She asked.

Of course not. Really?! Why wouldn't someone like me be a first choice partner.

"Uh, no, I-I can't really sing too well" I lied.

"Well I think your voice is beautiful... You're really talented Adam" She said openly.

She'd only ever heard me song once or twice, and that was upon accident, she walked in on me during a rehearsal.

"I-, t-thank you" I said, for once, I decided to take a compliment, even If it wasn't truly genuine.

"Just don't hide it Mr!" she said with a playful push of my shoulder.

Maybe she just felt sorry for me. Always the shy boy who was a taken by anxiety by the thought of singing infront the the class of thirty.

"So, do you have one?" I asked a little too eagerly.

"Um, no" she said, biting her lip.

We both looked up at each other in unison, she offered her hand to shake.

My eyes wandered from her hand, back to her lively eyes, until I realized what she was trying to convey.

"So... You want to maybe be mine?" She offered, her hand still hanging awkwardly in front of me.

Be hers... I could get used to the sound of that.

She tilted her head at my absence, before I shook it, snapping out of my wanderlust thoughts once again, back to reality of the situation.

Your crush is asking you to be her partner Adam. Take the opportunity.

"Uh, sure! Sure, o-of course!" I replied, taking her soft hand in mine and shaking it.

Her skin was so delicate... So fragile, like the downy wings of a butterfly. I was almost afraid of hurting her, simply with a handshake.

My hand shook hers, her eyes distracting me from the handshake, so I continued.

She then gave me a look that reminded me I still had a firm grip of her, shaking her hand slowly and staring into the icy depths of her eyerus almost longingly.

"Um-" I looked at our hands still entwined, and took mine away realizing the situation.

She blushed a soft shade of pink, taking her hand and placing it in her coat pocket, a cute laugh escaping her lips.

I looked at her once again, as the embarrassment disappeared. I was lost for what to do so I began to laugh along awkwardly.

"Um, so... Partners I Guess?" She rendered.

"Yeah..." I said, a smile still guiltily tugging at my lips.

We both stood up, and she tripped slightly, her hand falling on my shoulder and her tiny body dangerously close to mine.

She quickly took it off me and looked me in the eyes one last time.

"Thank you Adam"

"Anytime" I replied.

We broke eye contact and she handed me the last of the music before I shut my locker for the last time.

Brielle turned and headed for the main corridor leading to the office.

"Uh- Brielle?!" I called, before she could disappear completely out of sight.

She turned sharply around to face me, a good twenty-five feet away, yet I could still talk to her without having to shout. The hall was empty; just the two of us.

"Um, I have a Piano, and we might need to practice, so you maybe want to come by this afternoon?"

I suggested, surprising myself with how smooth I just was.

"Sure!" She replied.

"4?"

"4" I agreed.

We both lived in the same neighborhood, so it only worked out.

"Bye Adam! See you later!"

"Bye, thank you again!" I replied, returning the wave.

I found myself still staring dreamily in the direction she vanished, still attempting to gather my flustered thoughts.

Wow.

Brielle Saunders.

Brielle is going to be in my house.

With me.

Alone. An open shot at asking her to prom.

Dear God please give me courage...