Scheming Little Brother

The bell rang an hour later and Harriet exited as quickly as possible. I closed my book and slipped it into my bag.

“Georgiana,” Luke said. “You ok?”

“I wish everyone would stop asking me that.”

“Well you’ve rubbed your neck raw.” He pointed to it.

“I did?” I put my fingers to it and sure enough it stung. “I didn’t notice.”

“Are you sure everything’s ok?”

I looked at him and nodded. He was concerned, but then again Luke was always concerned. I walked out the door tucking my hands into my coat pockets. My water bottle clipped onto my bag so I didn’t have to carry it.

I wandered out of the building and headed to my next class. I had to really snap out of it since I was about to see my mother. But I couldn’t shake my buzzing headache and a sense that something was about to happen.

I walked into class and my mother was immediately at my side.

“Put your stuff down and then come talk to me.”

I nodded and put my stuff down at my chair. I walked up to the front of the class and sat on the edge of her desk.

“How are you feeling?” she asked.

“I’m fine Mom. Really.”

“Your brother got you your jacket, good. I’d figured you’d need it.”

“Thanks Mom.”

“Did you do your homework?”

“Yes.” She looked surprised. “I sat and did the whole thing,” I teased her.

“Honey. You were in the hospital. You didn’t have to.”

“I wouldn’t be your daughter if I didn’t.”

She smiled. “That’s true. Alright. Get to your seat.”

She patted my leg and I went to my seat. I shrugged off my jacket and hung it on the back of the chair. I rested one arm on the desk and rested my head on my other hand, which was propped up by my elbow. I was in a window seat again and again I spaced out. I took in the cracks of the paint and the details of the glass used. My eyes drifted down to the tile on the floor, taking in each speck of dirt.

A hand rested on my shoulder and I snapped out of it. I looked up and Michael was standing there. He took my hand down from my neck.

“You’re bleeding,” he said softly.

He looked over at my mother and I turned to look at her. The bell hadn’t rung yet and she just nodded.

“Come on. Let’s go,” he said.

“Where are we going?”

“Technically I should take you back to the infirmary…”

“No. I’m fine.”

“Then let’s go to the bathroom. Leave your stuff here.”

I got up and followed him out of the room. The bell rang when we were halfway down the hall. It was eerily quiet. Michael knocked on the girl’s bathroom door and when no one called back he went in.

“Michael, I’m fine.” I looked in the mirror. “See? It’s already healed.”

He ran some warm water and soaked a towel. He pressed it against my neck which brought him in close proximity. I breathed in and out, focusing on that.

“Tell me what’s going on? You’ve been spacing out all day.”

“Nothing’s going on.”