Chapter 3

Ebony place-cards, elegantly lined with crimson, lay before each of the seven chairs on an oval black marble table. Jon found his name and settled into his velvet-lined seat. A waiter appeared at his side, placing a glass of Champagne at Jon's elbow.

There was movement at his right, and Richard slid into the seat, nodding to him. "May the best man win."

Stephen was two seats right of Richard, and he took a long sip of Champagne before raising his glass to the other two. "Do not get too used to those seats," he called across the table.

Molloy strolled past them with a scornful gaze before settling herself in at the far end of the table. "I hope at least Spider will be joining us," she huffed. "I would wish for some real competition tonight - not you chipmunks." She plunked herself heavily into her chair, snapping her fingers for her glass.

A gruff voice sounded at Jon's left. "You might just have it," he calmly returned. Jon's eyes twinkled as Xerxes settled into the seat at his left. Jon knew the man's reputation, and competition might have been an understatement.

The willowy blond delegate took the seat at Stephen's right, nodding to the group. "I am Martin," he introduced himself, elegantly reaching for his wine. "I represent the local interest in our little game."

Molloy's eyes went to the remaining seat between Richard and Stephen with hawk-sharp interest. "So where is our final competitor?"

There was a movement by a side door, and a slim figure in a swirling crimson caftan emerged. A turban encased his head and a full ebony face mask concealed his features. A crimson spider was emblazoned across the center of the face.

Excited murmurs followed him as he moved across the room and took the remaining seat. A glass of wine was presented, but he shook his head, waving it off.

Captain Smythe came up behind Jon, laying a hand on his shoulder. "It appears you are getting your wish and taking on the Spider himself," he chuckled with warmth. "Keep your wits sharp, my friend. Remember, you are defending the honor of our entire ship."

"I will not let you down," vowed Jon, looking over Spider with interest. Ever since the first Spider's event, held several years ago on the infamous plains of Sidor X, the masked player had made his presence felt at almost every game. His cool gameplay was legendary, with only the emotionless orbs shining from behind that flat mask.

A procession of seven servants flowed into the room, coming to stand behind each player. With a flourish they placed down four stacks of chips – two crimson, two ebony. A deck of cards was placed before Martin, and then the servants faded back into the eager throngs.

Molloy drained her wine and sharply set her empty glass down, drawing all eyes to her. The movement of lava in the bank of windows sent a dappling of red and gold against her pale skin. She gave a toothy smile to the collected players.

"Well then, let's get this adventure started, gentlemen," she called out. "I say we start the kitty at 5,000 credits."

Martin paled at the figure, but one by one the men nodded their agreement. In a moment Martin had passed around the cards, and the play began.

Jon found it took every ounce of his concentration to stay even with the players. Each person there was at the highest level of gameplay, and it showed in every call, in every motion of the hand. The crowd murmured in excitement with each turn of the card and slide of a chip. The minutes drew out like taffy slowly easing from a warm pot.

A pale woman in a sleek, black dress, her hair the color of faded bubble gum, came up to his shoulder holding a flute of Champagne. Her teeth sparkled as she placed it at his side. Her voice was a low purr. "I thought I might bring you something for luck," she murmured. "I just know you will be the one on top tonight."