Chapter Five

The next morning I woke up dazed and confused. My mind processed and went over the events of the other day. I still wasn't quite sure if any of it had actually happened.

I whined as I walked around my house and saw all the unpacked boxes throughout the rooms.

Once I had finally finished unpacking my room and placing all the decorations around, I folded up the cardboard and made my way out to the dumpster.

My heart started to race and my head shot up when a heard a loud splash coming from the rocks. I threw away the boxes and ran over to the boulders resting in the high tide water.

The disappointment was plastered on my face as I realized the sound was from only the waves crashing against the sand.

I slowly dragged my feet back into my house. I hadn't realized how much I  wanted all of it to be real.

I continued my process of unpacking and throwing out boxes throughout the rest of the afternoon until there were only a few to be emptied.

I threw myself onto the couch in my living room and let out a sigh of relief. I was completely exhausted but still had an evening to fill up with something to do. However, I wasn't in the mood to do anything that required energy. I ruled out my options and came up with… Nothing.

I slowly made my way through the hallway and into my room. I flopped onto my comforter and looked up seeing my computer staring at me. I sat up and reached over to turn it on. Setting it on my lap, I logged in and opened up my internet browser.

I clicked on the search and sat in thought. I entered the first word that came to mind.

Mermaid.

Multiple links came up and I smiled seeing all the information at my fingertips.

I began to search through all the websites until I found a link that interested me.

The page began to pop up with multiple pictures of mermaid sightings. However, none of them looked the mermaid I met yesterday.

They had black tails with sharp fins on the back, webbed fingers, and sharp teeth. They all looked like something pulled out of a mythologic book on mermaids and sirens.

However, all of these sites probably were. That or people photoshopping pictures to get attention.

I continued to scroll down, deciding to skip the interviews they had of people who had seen mermaids before. I shook my head thinking how pointless and stupid this was.

I began to go through my life decisions and think about how I could be using my time to do something much more entertaining. I shrugged off my train of thought before looking back at my screen to continue reading.

I started skimming through all of the basic information and groaned seeing that it was extremely unspecified and consisted of things that everyone would have common knowledge of.

I continued to look through a couple of the other sites but noticed that it contained nearly the exact same aspects and nothing useful.

I grumbled to myself realizing that everything on this site and most of the others only included unreliable information and simple facts that everyone would know.

I closed my laptop and laid down in frustration. I wanted to know more. It felt like I needed to know more. Curiosity filled my head and I had a longing to see Arianna again.

I reached over for my phone and inserted my headphones, ready to relax and rest.

I decided to take a nap still feeling disappointed and unhappy with my findings. I rolled on my side and pulled a pillow close, hugging the soft cloud.

As I drifted off to sleep, the thought of mermaids never left my mind.

Beneath the Waves.Copyright © 2017. All Rights Reserved. Emily Kland.