Waiting

My hands spark with electricity and I zap the pole with a bolt of lightning. As all the men collapse, a wave of relief washes over me. Vanessa tackles me in a bear hug and we all high five each other and laugh.

That's when I hear hit.

The faint click of a cross bow below us and a painful gasp to my left. I spin around to see Sydney falling, fast. I tuck in my wings and dive after her head first. I stretch out my arms and grab her before landing on the ground.

Gently, I lay her down before me in the wet, dying grass. The others join me, their faces creased with concern.

"We have to get her to headquarters, now" I insist, scooping her up bridal style in my arms.

Mia nods her head and pulls out a fire cracker looking object from her jean pocket. She throws it on the ground and it snaps, opening a portal in the ground. I jump through first, clutching Sydney protectively. The world swirls around before me and I am on the ground at the entrance of the headquarters.

"Let us in!" I beg, kneeling on the ground. The rain puddles on the ground and soaks my shirt. Sydney lays limply, her legs on the ground and her back resting on my knee. Her wings hang loosely by her side, water trickling off them.

I loved the color of her wings, grey, but speckled black as if they'd been sprinkled with pepper. Her hair had once been blonde, bright yellow it seemed, perfectly trimmed. Now it was darker, still blonde, but darker and more ragged. She no longer has bangs and her hair is thinner.

Her beautiful green eyes are now closed, her flawless face emotionless.

The others tumble out of the portal behind me. I pick her up again and stumble towards the iron doors that lead into our headquarters.

"I'm sorry Max, but you have to leave" Dr. Parr says, putting his hand on my shoulder and blocking my view of Sydney.

"Let me stay" I beg, slipping out of his grip.

Sydney is laying on a bed that is covered in a white sheet. She is wearing the same clothes, a tight teal t shirt, still wet from the rain. She has black, skinny jeans and brown leather boots on her feet. Her wings are folded gently beneath her and a nurse stands by her side, trying to decide whether or not to remove the arrow.

"Please, Max" he says, turning me towards the door.

"Will she be alright?" I ask, stumbling towards the door.

Dr. Parr gives me a doubtful look before shutting me out.

Vanessa walks up behind me and rests a hand on my shoulder.

"Come on, you should rest, it's nearly midnight." She says. I shrug her hand off and stare at the glass door. The curtain is drawn from the inside so I can't see what's going on.

"Max"

"I can't rest until I know she's going to be well"

"Max, we don't know that-"

She pauses and I turn to face her.

"What? Know that what?"

"That she's going to...make it"

"She will" I say with determination, turning back to face the door.

"I know she will"

"Max your tired, we all are. And your arm..."

She takes a step forward and puts a hand on my forearm. There is a deep gash in it, and I flinch when her thin, pale hand makes contact.

"Come on Max, don't do this to yourself"