Chapter 2

I burst into laughter at the mentioned of Jordan's name. There is no way Mr. Heckenberg wants me to tutor him. Jordan Gates is not even worth tutoring. He doesn't have respect for himself, for anyone and he most definitely did not care about his education. Why should I help him?

"You are joking, right?" I ask with the laughter in my voice. "Jordan Gates? Seriously?"

Mr. Heckenberg doesn't return the humour. "This is no joke, Mary-Kate. I would really like you to tutor Jordan."

I shake my head. I hated the idea of disappointing my principal, but there was no way I could tutor Jordan. I would help anyone except for him. There was no point in helping him. "No I'm sorry, Mr. Heckenberg, but I'm not tutoring him. Can't you get someone else to do it?"

"I'm sorry, Mary-Kate. At the moment, Jordan is the only one who really needs help with tutoring. I believe you're the only one who could really help him."

I couldn't understand why Mr. Heckenberg would want me to help him. Even if I did decide to help him, how do I know if Jordan is serious about getting help? This tutoring arrangement will just be a big joke to him.

On the plus side, at least I will be getting extra credit for college even if Jordan doesn't cooperate with me.

I nod. "Fine, I'll do it. I just need to work out when is a good time. I work part time after school."

A smile spread across his lips. "Thank you, Mary-Kate. I really appreciate it." He grabs a piece of paper from his desk and hands it to me. "Here is the list of subjects I need you to help him with."

I take the paper from him and read it. Jordan's subjects are English, algebra, chemistry, German and social science.

"Are you ready for this?" Mr. Heckenberg asks, double checking in case I change my mind at the last minute.

I nod, hoping I wasn't making a mistake by agreeing to do this. "Yes, I'm ready. When do you want me to start?"

"I would like you to start tutoring him as soon as possible. Once you leave my office, I'm going to call Jordan in to speak to him about it."

After Mr. Heckenberg dismissed me, and I head back to the cafeteria. I think about Jordan and wonder how he was going to react when our principal discuss the news with him. He will no doubt be a pain once the lessons start. He wasn't going to like this as much as I didn't, and even though he wasn't going to care about his grades, at least the tutoring will help with credit for college.

"You will never guess what Mr. Heckenberg wants me to do," I say to my friends as I sit down at our table.

"What?" Kyle asks, chewing on a fry. He also has some ketchup on the corner of his mouth. I gesture to him about the sauce, and he wipes his mouth with the back of his hand.

"He asked me if I would like to do tutoring for extra credit. You will never guess who he wants me to tutor."

My friends think for a moment, wondering what student I was talking about. There were a couple of students in our grade who were struggling with their grades, but I wasn't sure if any of them were in a need of a tutor.

"Jordan Gates."

Kyle spits out the drink he had in his mouth, spraying it on the table and some of it on Keegan. She scolds at him, but he takes no notice of her, keeping his eyes on me. "What?"

"I'm tutoring Jordan Gates."

"You're kidding right?" Keegan says.

I shake my head. "I'm not kidding."