Modern/Futuristic - Dark fantasy

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  A strict definition for dark fantasy is difficult to pin down. Gertrude Barrows Bennett has been called "the woman who invented dark fantasy".[1] Both Charles L. Grant[2] and Karl Edward Wagner[3] are credited with having coined the actual term "dark fantasy"—although both authors were describing different styles of fiction. Additionally, other authors, critics, and publishers have adopted dark fantasy to describe various other works. However, these stories rarely share universal similarities beyond supernatural occurrences and a dark, often brooding, tone.

Fantasy-based

Karl Edward Wagner is often credited for creating the term "dark fantasy" when used in a more fantasy-based context.[3] Wagner used it to describe his fiction about the Gothic warrior Kane. Since then, "dark fantasy" has sometimes been applied to sword & sorcery and high fantasy fiction that features anti-heroic or morally ambiguous protagonists. Another good example under this definition of dark fantasy is Michael Moorcock's saga of the albino swordsman Elric.[5]

Dark fantasy is occasionally used to describe fantasy works by authors that the public primarily associates with the horror genre. Examples of this would be Stephen King's The Dark Tower series,[5]Peter Straub's Shadowland,[6] and Clive Barker's Weaveworld.[5] Alternatively, dark fantasy is sometimes used for "darker" fiction written by authors best known for other styles of fantasy; Raymond Feist's Faerie Tale[6] and Charles de Lint's novels written as Samuel M. Key[7] would fit here.

Advertise your dark or horrific fantasy story set in a modern or futuristic setting here.

Please use the following form.

SUMBISSION FORM:

Title:

Author: @Name

Link:

Summary:

STORY ADVERTSING ONLY PLEASE.

I'd like this to be a listing of stories only please. Thank you.

If you have questions about this, please PM me or comment on the profile. Thank you.