Chapter 17 - Fix-it Fails

Cooper stood motionless as I jogged away. I could feel his desire to keep me safely in his sight - within arms' reach - but he also knew that I would not stand for his territorial nonsense right now, so he let me go.

Good. He can learn.

As soon as I disappeared behind the barn, I changed course and headed east towards Nolan's property. I knew that Cooper was coming around now with some things, but I had a gut feeling that anything related to Nolan or his pack was off limits. I might be able to talk him into some things, but old habits die hard, I guess.

So, I was going to fix it myself. This grudge-holding, territorial werewolf bullshit had to stop. It was ridiculous that two packs living next to each other were constantly on the verge of violence.

The sun was setting, and the air began to cool down considerably as the moon rose, full and bright in the clear night.

It wasn't like the full moon affected werewolves like in the legends, but I thought it was all sort of poetic in a way.

Ignore my rambling, I didn't know where these thoughts came from.

A soft chuckle resounded in my mind and I knew it wasn't my amusement that I felt. Which meant that a certain someone was listening in on me. And, if not me,then on my emotions.

"Get out of my head," I practically snarled at Cooper through the bond. Before I could hear his response, I imagined myself physically pushing a miniature Cooper out of my head and slamming a door to keep him out. The shining bond in my head dimmed slightly, not as though it had gone out, but as if someone had put a light shade over it. Plus, the annoying little voice in my head was blissfully quiet now.

I let the shift wash over me as I sped up a bit. I didn't think Cooper had heard my intentions, but I really couldn't be sure, so I listened carefully for approaching steps or panting breaths. But all was silent.

I cautiously approached the fence line where the two packs' territories met. Now that I focused, I could smell the distinct pack scents and where they clashed right at the fence into a slightly overwhelming smell of wolf and power and... ugh.

Why do wolves feel the need to mark everything?

I rose to my feet as I returned to my human form and slid through the fence into Nolan's territory.

Here goes nothing.

With a deep breath, I forged deeper into the territory, aiming straight for where I knew the main building was.

It was strange being in a different pack's land. Where my pack felt like comfort and warmth and protection, this felt heavier as if the protectiveness was aimed against me, warning me that I didn't belong here. Made sense, but at the same time it didn't feel overly aggressive like Nolan did, merely cautionary.

I was still a while away when the wolves showed up.

I honestly hadn't thought of the other pack having patrols or anything, not having thought past going to see Mason and his family.

Three wolves came hurtling towards me before skidding to a halt near me, snarling.

Fear raced through me, paralyzing my very thoughts.

I'd heard the wolves from my pack snarling but it had never been directed at me so violently. This was a predator bearing down on its prey. Me.

I put my hands up in a defensive pose, trying to appease the agitated wolves.

The largest one, a mottled gray creature, stood up and morphed into a dignified woman who was completely unashamed as she stood nude in front of me and her pack mates.