-: 1 :- The Road to Arizona

Author's Note to anyone who is reading:

OK, so I know that this story doesn't start off so exciting, but more things will happen in the next chapter.

Also, dedicated to Wackyweirdochic for commenting on all the chapters!

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

"We're moving."

When those two words first escaped my sister's lips, I swear I burst out laughing. Then, when I realized that she was as serious as she'd ever be, I started sobbing uncontrollably. And then, after five minutes of that, I started getting really angry and slapping her.

But before I reveal how I should have been diagnosed as bipolar long ago, let me start from the beginning so that I don't seem like a complete maniac. Because I'm not. Honest! Well, most of the time, at least.

My name is Giacomo. Giacomo Liam Di Lorenzo. Everyone calls me Jack, except for my stubborn, evil sister Albany, who calls me Gia. I'm sixteen, and a junior in Arrowstrong Academy. I have two best friends, as I mentioned before. Audrey and Jaxon.

Anyway, back to the case at hand. Is that what people say? Ugh, I'm too depressed about moving to care. Usually I don't care about things this much, but I spent sixteen years building up a life here! I'm not just going to let that go to waste.

One reason why I can't move is Audrey and Jaxon. I've known them my whole life and longer. Our mothers were best friends when they were pregnant with us. Audrey and Jaxon are twins, Audrey being the older one.

Audrey has been with me through rain or shine. She was also one of the only people there for me when I came out. That's right: I'm openly gay. Gayer than a leprechaun riding a unicorn through a rainbow. But it's caused a lot of trouble for me. Not with Audrey, though. I think she was even happier to be my friend, to be honest.

And Jaxon. Jaxon was the one who stood up to homophobes for me. He was also the one who helped me figure out I was gay. We never dated, though, because he was sure he was straight.

My school, too. I've met so many people there, and I've been through so much. Good and bad. I even had my first crush there. Jesse. Unfortunately, he was one of the homophobes that almost put me in the hospital. I know, I know. The typical 'gay guy falling in love with the straight homophobe he can't have' story. And here's the most pathetic part: I STILL have a crush on him.

Audrey called it love, Jaxon called it girly and I called it 'the way to get my heart broken'. That's one good thing about moving. No more Jesse.

I realized that I had stopped bitch-slapping my sister and was now staring into space.

"I should have taken you to the doctor a long time ago," my sister said, rolling her eyes.

"Annie, you can't do this!" I begged her, using her old childhood nickname and turning on my puppy dog face. I'm gay, I can pull it off like a pro.

"Gia, I'm sorry, but I think this will be best for both of us. It's this place in Arizona, there's a really nice house on sale for a low price, and a school, a good private one that could be better than Arrowstrong. And we'll be living in an amazing new house. With a pool!" she explained to me.

"My LIFE is here! How can some place in Arizona compare to that?!" I cried.

"Please understand--"

"Why do you want to move there so badly anyway, Annie?"

"I got a job!" she burst out.

"But... But Annie, why didn't you tell me earlier? We tell each other everything. What is it?" I felt a little hurt.