Chapter 2

“Hey guys, cheer practice tonight. Don’t forget this time Stacie!” I shouted across the empty hall way. It was fifth period and English was my next lesson. It was my favourite lesson in college and even though it sounded geeky I needed to get my place at the front of the class room and I was already late, which meant I would have to make do with one of the back seats near all the losers who fell asleep and dribbled on their books.

I made my way into the class room as quietly as I could. I knew Stephan wouldn’t mind me being late I was one of his best students and I was only late on rare occasions, to English at least. I looked around to see where the nearest available seat was, and to my delight there was one table right at the front of class. I slipped myself quietly in to the desk and mouthed “I’m sorry” to Stephan. I opened my book to chapter 14 were we left of in yesterdays class and began highlighting key points that we had been reading. We were reading pride and prejudice for the sixth time this term. We had to keep reading it because no one understood the book. As soon as English was over I collected my assignment and headed down the crowded corridor to my locker to get my cheer outfit.  

There was a sudden bang on the other side of my locker which made me jump and drop my books. I bent down to get them and was met by the hand of Jayden.

“Hello Ava, looking beautiful as ever I see”   

Jayden was my ex boyfriend. He was the most popular boy in college and any girl would have loved him to be stalking them. He was tall and well built, he had light brown hair verging slightly on blond and it was spiked perfectly. His eyes were big and blue but held no remarkable qualities, nothing that could hold you. Ever since I had split up with him 3 weeks ago I have never been able to get him out of my sight. Every day after every class he was there to walk me to my next lesson. That was the reason that I decided to end it with him I never had any space to just hang out with my friends. He was so possessive. My mother loved him he was the perfect boy for me. He came from a good family he had plenty of money and he would have been a good choice but we had nothing in common, he enjoyed sports and drinking. I enjoyed literature and working, earning my own money rather then taking my parents and I enjoyed taking long walks. I enjoyed space and my own company rather than that of lots of people, and he didn’t understand that.

I wanted a boy that I could walk with. Someone I could sit with and talk about books we both loved. I wanted someone who held my hand when I wanted it and someone who knew that it was time to leave me to myself. I wanted a boy that could make me laugh but with intelligence and not silly comments like Jayden did. Jayden was nice and he was a good friend but I didn’t feel anything for him like I used to I needed more from a relationship.

“Hi Jayden. What are you doing here don’t you have practice?” I asked pushing his hand away from my books as I collected them from the floor and putting them back into my locker.

“Err yeah I do but don’t you have cheer practice I thought I could walk with you. It’s the same way.”

“Sure, sure. Lets go I need to hurry I’m already late.” I explained walking ahead of him.

Jayden grabbed my arm and spun me around. He pulled me into his chest and held me there putting his hand under my chin and making me face him.

“Jayden... What are you doing” I shouted trying to pull myself free from his grasp. He was so strong and so much taller than me making it difficult to get free. He just held me there and looked me straight in the eyes.

“Ava, I...” he began. I stopped him mid sentence. I knew what was coming and I didn’t need it. I would feel like even more of a jerk if I let him say it and then told him I in no way felt the same.  I realised his grasp of me and walked ahead of him, picking my pace up just enough that he got the message that I didn’t want to speak to him.