Prologue

Olena sat in the car, wide-eyed as Dimitri drove the truck through the trees, down the long-winding drive.

Oaks lined the road as they drove, and the sun was just reaching the horizon. They'd gotten off the plane only three hours ago, and grabbed a bite to eat, but Olena was starving.

Was it because she was nervous or was it because she was now eating for two, and the little sucker was being greedy? Whatever it was, she wanted food. Food gave her comfort. But he didn't feel like seeing her lunch later, that was the end of that. 

Aleksandyr turned and smiled at her from the passenger seat. 

"Don't worry. It'll be great," he told her. She nodded, her smile not reaching her eyes. He turned back in the seat and reached back. Olena grabbed his hand and he gave hers a squeeze. 

She felt a wave of calmness rush over her, and she sighed, content with watching the trees go by.

"So, how much longer until we're there?" she asked him. It was nerve-wracking to know that his parents were waiting for them. Waiting to judge her on sight. They would do so because they would think that she was a Dhampir. Well, she was far from it.

"We're here. We've been here for about an hour."

"What!?" both she and Dimitri exclaimed. From the frown on his face, she could guess that he hadn't known either.

Olena was the daughter of Konstantine Wilder. He was a man with a dark past, whose family was given the gift to shape-shift into animals that stalked and hunted their prey. The strongest would become wolves, and Konstantine, and her oldest brother Jasha, were both wolves.

Olena was the second daughter of Konstantine and his wife Zorana, but the only female to be able to shift herself. Firebird couldn't shift, but none of them knew why.

Having made a pact with the Devil two thousand years ago, Konstantine's ancestor, Konstantine, lived the life of a sneak, a thief, a rapist, and a murderer. But the pact was coming to an end because Konstantine now had two daughters.

Olena could by another name. Just as Firebird's full name was Firebird Maryuksha, whose name meant Rare or Special,  Olena had a full name as well: Olena Yekaterina. Her name meant Purity. 

_____________________________

After another 30 minutes of driving, they finally exited the tunnel of trees to see a large lawn and a grand house. Hell, it was a mansion.

"We're home," Aleksandyr announced. Like he needed to tell them. Olena took a deep breath. "Don't worry; you'll love it, I promise." he gave her a smile and unbuckled his seat-belt as Dimitri pulled the car in front of the steps. There was a garage just ten yards away, so why he parked here, she didn't know.

"You ready?" Aleksandyr asked her. She nodded, and he helped her out of the car. He was quick to do so as the door opened, and out came a man and a young woman. They were both Moroi, dressed in uniform. They were blonde and gray-haired, so they weren't Aleksandyr's parents.

"Hey, Jenkins!" Aleksandyr smiled at the man. "Young Master Ozera, it is a pleasure to see you again. And who are these fine folk?" the man said this slowly, and the girl looked Olena up and down. Dimitri stood by her side.

"Guardian Dimitri Belikov and Miss Olena Wilder."

"Guardian Belikov? Oh, how do you do, sir?" Jenkins said. Dimitri gave a nod. "And good evening Miss Wilder. I am pleased to make your acquaintance."

"Hello," Olena held out her hand. "It's nice to meet you, Mr. Jenkins." The man smiled and shook her hand.

"Would you like something to drink? Teresa, please show Miss Wilder and Young Master Ozera to the tea parlor, would you?" the girl nodded. "I"ll help Guardian Belikov with the bags."

"Follow me please," she said to them.

They entered a large foyer with a few sitting chairs, just for show. The maid led them into a side room, just off the foyer, and the place was grand. Ornate Persian rugs, oak wooden chairs that had been refinished and old-new wonders were before Olena's eyes.

"You have a beautiful home," she said.

"Not as beautiful as you though," he commented. Olena blushed, making him smile. Teresea had a hard time pretending she hadn't overheard them even though the room was silent.

"I'll go and make your tea. Welcome home, Young Master," she said before leaving.

"'Welcome home, Young Master,'" Olena mimicked. Aleksandyr scoffed. He pulled her close to him, brushing his lips against hers. 

"Say it again," he said in a low voice. She giggled like a schoolgirl, shaking her head and pretending to push her away as he planted kisses all over her face. Aleksandyr's extremely affectionate demeanor seemed to dwindle. Olena sensed someone else in the room.

"Whoa, you brought a girl home!?" a scruffy voice called out. "Wait 'till Dad gets a load of this." 

They both turned to see a guy with pale white skin and pitch black hair. His eyes were stark, icy blue.

"Hello. Name's Antony, this one's much hotter older brother. And you must be-"

"Aleks!" a shrill voice called. "I decided to come over since I knew you were coming home, and I wanted to...see...you...." A girl about Olena's age floated into the room. She had pale white skin, like Aleksandyr and his brother, but she had dirty blonde hair.

"Who's this?" Olena asked.

"I'm Annalise Ivashkov. Who are you?" She looked at Olena like a girl would look at another who was encroaching on her territory. Or in this case, her boyfriend.