Abused

I only felt his knuckles hit my head, that was all before I fell to the floor, screaming in pain.  I tried to get up, but he placed his size 11 boot on my stomach.  I tried to bite his leg, but my neck wasn't near long enough.  I screamed louder, hoping someone would hear me.  I held the tears back, that's what he wanted, tears.  He bent down a bit and I punched him in the face.  He stumbled backwards and I hoped up off the floor.  I grabbed a knife from a cheese platter sitting on the desk.  "You will stay away from me!"

  "Baby, I'm sorry."

  "That's what you say every time!  You brake my rib oh baby I'm sorry you break my heart into a million pieces oh baby I'm sorry, well there are some things that can't be fixed, Chris!  You are not the man I married!  Whatever happened to him?  The man who loved me? Five years!  Five years I've had to put up with the pain!  The broken bones, bloody noses, bruises scars and scratches!" 

  "You will put that knife down or I will kill you when you very least expect it!"

  "Well at least then I wouldn't have to put up with the crud you give me!"

  "You better shut your mouth Debby!"

  "You better leave me the h*ll alone!"  I walked as quick as I could with my injured leg.  I opened the door grabbed my wallet and slammed the door shut.  When I reached the car I looked back at the place I called "home."  I ripped my wedding ring off my finger and placed it under my Ford's tire.  I took the car key and started up the car.  A tear streamed down my face when I realized I used to love him.  I backed up the car and crunched the wedding ring under the tire.

    I drove for hours, only stopping at a gas station for a bottle of water.  Buffalo New York, the place where my "home" was.  How good it felt to get away from that building.  I had neighbors, neighbors who heard just about every rumor that was to float about.  How did no one know oh the horror I faced inside those walls?  Why did I never tell anyone?

    I pulled into the parking lot of a Holiday Inn and realized that Chris would be looking for me.  Should I pick a fake name, just to be safe?  He didn't know I had a credit card account, so I would be fine by that.  Better safe than sorry, fake name it is!  I can use my maiden name, Smith.  Rebecca Smith.  I hope this will work, I've never been good at lying!