Chapter One

Anna POV

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP! I sat straight up from the noise and ran for the alarm clock. It sounded just like a fire alarm and I knew that before long it would wake up everyone in the building. I quickly hit snooze and threw myself back down onto my bed hiding my face in my pillow. I have never set it to that alarm before, and never would I set it for six in the morning! Someone must have wanted to prank me.

I looked around the room for the culprit but nothing seemed to be out of place. I rubbed my eyes knowing that I was not going to get any more sleep now that I knew people were trying to cause trouble. I stood up yawning loudly stretching my arms feeling my back crack and grimacing at the sound.

I went to my dresser and opened the first drawer looking at the same shirts that were in there every day, a simple red shirt, a white blouse, meant only for Christmas, a green shirt with flower patterns, a blue v-neck, and my mother's old fleece. 

I reached in a stroked the fleece feeling the worn fabric under my fingertips. No matter how much I lied to myself about not missing my parents, I did desperately. It still never made sense to me why they would just leave me to die in the middle of the forest. 

I picked up the worn fleece and hugged it close inhaling the lavender that still lingered lightly, running my hand over the sleeve with the honey stain; the "extra-special ingredient for an extra special girl"... I sighed placing it back gingerly and retrieving my red t-shirt from the drawer and some sweat pants from the second and headed for the bathroom.

Technically I wasn't supposed to be up for another 2 hours but if I waited I would never catch a shower because this is an orphanage for girls, and there are 75 of us.

 There are many disadvantages to being one of the oldest girls in an orphanage. You are practically worshiped by the youngest girls between 5-10 because you are like their mother figure. I have never been very motherly, but they still cling to me whenever they see me. On the other hand, there are the tween girls 12-17 that are out for blood. They don't have a specific reason for hating me just that I am the oldest girl here and get most of the attention. May, my best friend, swears it's because they are jealous that I am so pretty. 

 I am tall at least 5 foot 8 with long straight brown and red hair, large hazel eyes, and high cheekbones. May has always called me pretty but she can never say it enough to make me believe it. 

I shut the door quietly as I can to the bathroom and strip down hiding my clothes in one of the stalls in case someone decides to come in and steal them. I know from experience, it happens. I step in the shower and turn on the water full blast the cold immediately hitting me. I flinch and a violent shiver runs down my spine but it quickly fades as the hot water kicks in.

After my shower, I quickly pull on my clothes and rush back to my room shutting the door silently and locking it back up again. I had recently found a way to lock and unlock my door from the inside so that I could escape sometimes, but it has to be early in the morning.  The security guards are everywhere during the day obviously and they are watching the cameras intently from 6-10 pm for any night owls wanting to take a pee. 

I slide under the covers on my bed trying to warm up from the drafty building's cold air and reach for my journal. I open the page to the next day and written across the top is December 6. The very same day that I was brought here all those 10 years ago the same day I almost died the same day I lost my parents for good. My birthday. 

I know that I usually didn't write in my journal on my birthday because who would want to remember such an awful day in their lives? Someone must have written it in here, someone must have... oh no. Did someone read it? I flipped through the pages looking for any evidence of other writing or something. I held the book upside down shaking it to see if anything would come out and a small piece of paper flew free. I dropped the journal and grabbed the paper and saw that it was a note.