Three

© 2013 Laura Crean

The President sat in the Oval Office and tried to go over the speech in his head whilst trying really hard to ignore the program technicians who were fussing around him.  A man in uniform walked into the chaos and approached the President’s desk.

    “Mr President?”

A technician rushed up to the President and said in a flustered voice,

    “You’re on in five minutes Sir.”

The uniformed man tried again.

    “Mr President?”

The President looked up over his notes and down over his reading glasses.

    “Agent Hunter - what do you want – I’m live in four minutes?”  Agent Hunter nodded.

    “Switch Activated Sir.”  He said simply.  The President took off his glasses, laid down his notes and headed for the centre of the room.  “Sir?”

    “Understood Agent.”

Agent Hunter nodded his head and left the room as the technician led the President to his place ready for the live broadcast.

    “Countdown to live transmission Sir in 5, 4…”  he shut his mouth and then showed 3 fingers, then 2, then 1.  The President began his speech as he stood in the holographic beam transmitter.

    “Communities of National City.  It has been brought to my attention that certain members of some of our communities – the so called “Skiv Mayors” are running corrupt services in exchange for illegal favours.  This including the illegal use of the so called “Simmie Drug” and the illegal use of the “Time Lines” to run this drug operation and unpaid work elicited from the most vulnerable of our citizens.  Be advised that I am now aware of the situation and that these activities will not be tolerated by Earth’s Central Government.  National City is now working closely with Parliament city to weed out these criminal elements and return these “failing” communities to a strict running of the correct policies and procedures of the “2022 Time Line and Communities Protection Act.”  Believe me when I say they will soon be running again to the letter of the law.  Be assured that all members of the “Joint Communities of Earth” will be treated with the equality and integrity that our registered members are entitled to.  Those registered in the system will be eligible for all the government food rations, education, jobs, housing and medical care that they deserve.  As we speak arrests are being made and the offenders’ behaviour investigated and re-aligned.  Thank you for your patience in this matter.”

The holographic beam switched off and the President relaxed.  He walked back to his desk and the technician followed him.  As he sat down he looked to the young man who was fidgeting nervously on the spot awaiting his dismissal.  The President suspected he was desperate for a Simmie as he displayed the behaviour of one who needed a fix regularly to function. 

    “Numbers?”  He asked the fidgety technician.

    “It went viral Sir – everyone saw it.”

    “OK Mr Parker, thank you, you may go.”  The technician nodded and turned to usher his people out of the office.  “Mr Parker before you go home, will you visit the Medical One facility please and – sort out your addiction.”  The man stood quite still in his tracks as the rest of his team left the Oval Office as quickly as they could.  He turned slowly, shaking to face the stern look of the President.  “Do not return to your duties until you have purged yourself of that filth, do I make myself clear?”

    “Yes Sir”  The technician muttered and then got out as quickly as he was able to.

Once he was alone the President calmly turned on his console vid and his wife’s smiling face rose out of the screen like a phantom, hovering before his eye line.

     “Hello darling – I’m afraid I’m not going to be able to make our dinner date this evening.  Something’s come up.”