Run

Chad Brown rises every morning at 6.am. He drinks a glass of water and eats a banana, before embarking on a 6-kilometer run.

It’s this discipline that has awarded Chad the athletic physique of a Gold Medal Winning Olympian.

After his run, he showers, eats a nutritious breakfast and heads for school – where learning, laughter and love await him.

……

Chad Brown is amazing!

He’s: loved, admired, envied and he has the proudest parents in The United States of America.

……

This morning – he’s going to ask Kelly Ibsen to The Prom.

If she says yes, Chad’s position as the ‘alpha male’ in school will be sealed.

Chad’s Father wants that accolade for his son.

……

“Of course she said yes, honey – look at you, you’re a catch. If she declined, she’d have me to deal with,” says his Mom.

It was his kindness that prompted Kelly’s ‘yes’ – Because Chad Brown has a huge heart to match his big blue eyes.

……

Chad’s Father comes in from the porch, carrying a rifle; a full round of ammunition wrapped around his waist – a deadly belt  ready to spill blood.

“You guys will be crowned Prom king and queen, for sure,” he says, with pride swollen eyes.  “You wanna come hunting with me buddy, I could use the company?” asks his father.

“Not tonight Dad, I got some study I need to focus on,” replies Chad.

Chad’s Father loves three things in life: Family, God and Guns.

 …….

Chad wasn’t being entirely truthful with his Father. This is because his heart hides a darkness. A deathly compulsion that Chad must quash at all costs – to protect himself and all those who adore him.

Chad can feel it rising tonight.

This is where his discipline comes into play.

Discipline keeps The Darkness down. It keeps the straight A's coming, the sporting trophy’s growing and his good looks improving.

Discipline keeps his parents proud.

……

Chad feels the darkness continue to rise: the thoughts invade like a warring army; negative images flood his head like a tsunami.

When these attacks begin to take over – Chad runs.

Running helps the darkness recede. He runs to the point of extreme exhaustion. At home he continues with press-ups and sit-ups until sleep finally blots out the black thoughts that come with The Darkness.

…….

Recently, Chad has discovered another – quite worrying way – of controlling The Darkness.

He carries a small screw in his pocket at all times; its end is ruthlessly jagged.

When the darkness rises, Chad finds a quiet spot, lifts his trouser leg and lacerates the skin around his ankle.

The hot, searing pain obliterates The Darkness; the blood seeping through his sock and filling his sneaker, comforts him.

…...