Chapter Three

When I woke up Callum had wrapped me up in a blanket. I was fully stretched across the sofa, and Callum was on the floor. He was half sitting up, leaning against the sofa like he had been watching me sleep. I nudged him carefully with my foot and his eyes snapped open. He stood up to fast and winced as he hit his head on the ceiling of the shed.

 I laughed.

 Without saying anything he picked me up, blanket still wrapped around me and started to carry me back to the house- bumping my head on the doorframe as we went. He put me down in the kitchen and went to wake up Nick.

 Nick came down yawning wearing a basketball vest and sweatpants.

 "Morning Jade. What can I get you for breakfast? We have..." he said, going to a cupboard and opening it. He shut it and turned back to me. "...absolutely nothing."

 "No worries." I laughed.

 I heard the front door open and someone come into the house. The person came down the hallway and into the kitchen.

 Jason entered, looked around and saw me. He came over to me and pulled me into a tight hug.

 "Err dude, that's my sister." Callum said, but Jason didn't release me.

 "Why haven't you been answering your phone? I was going insane, your mum said you were missing..." he asked me.

 "I must have left it at home... I'm sorry." I said. He sighed.

 "We better get you home before your mum has a heart attack." he said, pulling at my arm.

 "I don't want to go home, I want to stay with Cal." I snapped. He sighed and looked at Callum.

 "Take her home to mum. Make sure mum knows she's ok. Then- and making sure she has her phone- bring her back here. I want her to meet Jem and Kels." Cal ordered.

 "No way, mum will never let me out again!" I said. Jason sighed and picked me up. He threw me over his shoulder, and though I punched him very hard he refused to put me down. He refused to put me down for a couple of streets, and even then he kept a very tight hold of me.

 "Jade!" mum shrieked when I got home. She ran up to me and flung her arms around me. I didn't relax, I just stood there awkwardly.

 "Let go woman, I was with Callum." I barked. She stepped back, surprised.

 "Excuse me? You were with Callum?"

 "She was perfectly fine. She was with Callum and Callum is at Nick's house. Callum has told me to bring her home so that you know she is alright, but he has asked for her to return to Nick's house for today, if that's alright." Jason told her, using his posh voice he thought made adults understand.

Poor fool. Adults never understand.

 "Of course it's not alright! She is not leaving this house except for school for the next three weeks!" mum yelled.

 "Mum, either let me go to Nick's for today or so help me I will go live there." I said. She said nothing, so I went up to my room and started to search for my phone.

 I picked up a photo of us together as a family. Me, Callum, mum and dad.

 I took it out of the frame and folded it over so that only me and Callum could be seen.

 I found my phone on the floor in the corner of my room, how it got there I do not know... I heard Jason call for me  to hurry up from downstairs.

 When I got downstairs, mum was leaning against the wall staring into space. She looked like she had had no sleep.

 "Mum?" I asked, and she snapped out of her reverie and looked at me. "I'll see you later, okay?"