Icicles and Mistletoe - Chapter 1

By Christina Gallo 

"I'm fine mom, stop worrying about me. I'm only an hour away from you, Connecticut isn't that far away from Westchester County," Makayla responded in a soothing voice while placing a cup of hot cocoa in front of her overbearing mother.

"Makayla," lectured her mother in a crisp voice, "I just think you're running away from your family and your friends." Her blue eyes darked and the expression on her face showed pure distaste as she added with a huff, "I just hate that you're so far away from home." 

Makayla moved closer to her mother and placed her hand on her mother's shoulder. "Oh mom, I couldn't stay in that house any longer.  Too many memories." She closed her eyes for a moment remembering last Christmas Eve, the day her entire world was turned upside down. "I was so excited, thinking my husband would be home soon. I didn't even fully understand what the two men in uniform were saying to me. It's like their mouths were moving but nothing they were saying made sense to me until they handed me the folded flag and my husband's dog tags. That's the day my heart shattered."

Wiping a few stray tears from her eyes, Makayla's mother turned and faced her daughter. This time her expression softened as did the tone of her voice. "I'm not the only one that misses you. Your father and brother worry about you every day. You know how they are."  

"Mom," murmured Makayla trying her hardest to make her mother understand her rational. She moved a little closer to her mother and happened to glance at the folded American flag with her husband's military dog tags displayed over her fireplace. Her voice cracked as she cried, "Losing Charlie has been extremely difficult. We were just married, so happy, and so in love. Everything is like one huge blur to me, first the wedding and then the funeral. My heart aches and my head spins constantly. I need to heal." 

"I'm so sorry honey," sobbed her mother while hugging her daughter tight. "You're so young and so beautiful, you have your whole life ahead of you. I know you'll snap out of this."

Makayla folded her arms across her chest, took a deep breath, counted to five, and stated in a matter-of-fact voice. "I will never forget Charlie, mommy. He was my everything, my whole world, and now it's all gone. We had plans." Makayla sniffled and choked back her tears and added, "I know I'm young and I know what you are saying but mom, I'm not there yet."

"I understand sweetheart," her mother replied with half a smile. Her manicured brows lifted as a devious look replaced her half smile. "I'm not a doctor or pretend to be one, but I happen to have a perfect cure for the blues. Brace yourself sweetie, because this cure has been known to work instantaneously. May even cause rapid heart flutters, laughter, and a feeling of euphoria."  She reached into her designer purse, pulled out her wallet, and giggled while pulling out a pretty little black card. "Especially when your father gave me his credit card this morning. Why don't we break this bad boy in?"

Makayla couldn't help but laugh at her mother's antics and replied, "Some people will use other people's sorrow as an excuse to go shopping. Have you no shame?"

**

Three and a half hours later, Makayla and her mother loaded up Makayla's car with all their packages, and headed home. For the first time in weeks, Makayla actually had a great time and enjoyed being spoiled. "Thank you so much for today, mom. I absolutely love everything you bought me."

"My pleasure, sweetheart."

"Drive safe mom. I'll see you soon." Makayla hugged her mother tight and placed a soft kiss on her cheek. She stepped back and took a long look at her mother knowing full well, they were similar in so many ways. Her mother stood at approximately 5' 5", slender by nature, with brilliant sky-blue eyes that even when angered, her eyes always managed to sparkle.  Her mother has always been considered beautiful and like fine wine, she is aging perfectly. Her porcelain skin, even in her mid-forties, shows minimal signs of aging. "Seriously, thank you for today. I love you."

"I left an envelope for you on the counter from your dad," called her mother while buckling herself up. 

"Mom, you and dad have done more than enough for me already."

"Pish posh. What's the point of having children if you can't spoil them? Besides, your brother and your cousin are on their way here. They'll more than likely eat you out of house and home. I do hope I left you enough money," joked her mother while starting up her baby blue Mercedes.

Makayla stood in her driveway watching her mother leave and the moment she was out of sight; she made her way inside, brought all the packages upstairs, and put everything away. As she walked into the kitchen, she saw the envelope her mother left and opened it. 'Just a little something from us to make your life a little easier.' Her face flushed a deep shade of red as she choked back the threat of tears.

"Makayla!" called her brother while opening up the front door. "We're here."

"I'll be right down," she called as she placed clean towels in the guest bathroom, made sure the bedrooms were set up for her brother and cousin, and made her way downstairs. 

"There she is," called her cousin Frankie while placing a bunch of shopping bags on the floor near the front entrance. "I come bearing gifts. Turns out my mom has been hanging out with your mom and had herself a wonderful time shopping for you. Something about never having a daughter."

"Don't hate," joked Makayla while walking over to her cousin and giving him a huge hug. "I'm so glad you're here."

"Me too Makayla," replied Frankie while pulling out of the embrace. "My mom and dad send their love."

"Awe. I'll call them later. I'd love for them to come for a visit," replied Makayla in an optimistic voice. 

Mason placed a bag filled with paint brushes, spackle, and construction materials on the floor near the front room closet and took a look around. "Wow. This place is bigger than I remember."

"Follow me," called Makayla while leading them upstairs to their bedrooms. "Why don't you get comfortable while I figure out what we are doing for dinner."

"Don't go crazy. We were thinking of going out to eat," replied Frankie while placing his overnight bag on the floor near the closet. 

"Yeah, a few friends of ours told us about a nice little pub nearby," added Mason from the doorway of Frankie's room. 

Before either of them could say another word, Makayla simply replied, "I'll be ready in ten."