It's For Me to Know, and You to Find Out

***

I had this story posted up months ago, and thought that it was just bad.  But now I'm going to give it another try and if people like it, I might even put it in Watty Awards for 2012.  So, hope you enjoy and vote/comment/fan if you like!  Oh, and even though this is vampire, I would rather not focus so much on that because even thought this prologue seems like every other story, a few

***

I listened to the door bell ring. The crickets chirped and my head spun. Answer the door, or not answer the door? I didn't know what to do. From the past 17 years that I have been alive, I never answered the door alone. I can't stand strangers and especially the ones that come to our door, and only our door. Somehow they always find us, these strangers that creep through the night and stalk up to our house. But that's the way it always goes with my family. 

It was time I needed to make my own decisions for once. Well, not only once but for the rest of my life. So this was my little leap of faith. I patted my leather boots to make sure everything I needed was inside them. As I reached for the door knob the door bell rang again. A pang of irritation swept through me and collided with my innards. Would they stop ringing the door bell?

I looked at the doorknob and put my hand on it. It twisted easily under my grasp. As I swung the door open, I saw two things at once. First, was that my family had never experienced such a large number of vampires, and second that I was surrounded.

My breath came in short gasps and I struggled to gain breath. Good thing my parents weren't home to see me chicken out. This would be the one and only time to prove myself to my family and show that I was not the weakling. This upped my courage as I stepped out onto the threshold.

A vampire suddenly appeared in front of me and I realized that they moved faster when my parents weren't around. Or maybe it was just me. Yeah, just me. Just me. The vampire looked into my eyes and a wicked smile spread across his bloody lips. This was not a good sign. Not at all. The only thing that this could mean...that I was about to die. Well, not necessarily. I would be changed into the walking dead.

"Hello my sweet Madeline. Enjoying your evening, were you? Sorry to break it to you honey, but I need you to come with me," the vampire's expression softened, luring me closer to him. As I looked at him longer, I could see handsome features among his bloody face. But the blood didn't bother me any longer...not anymore....

"Stop!" I screamed at the top of my lungs, breaking the compulsion put into place by this so called handsome vampire. To think I actually thought about going with him without a fight. "Nonsense," I said, an evil grin spreading across my face. "But that wouldn't be part of my routine. I guess I will have to turn you down tonight. No need to worry you though. You can come back in an eternity or just not come back at all. Sorry to bring down your spirits honey."

I watched as the boy looked at me once and laughed a sardonic laugh. I am so glad I got caught out of my reverie. If I hadn't, I would have gotten stuck with this piece of junk for the rest of my life. "You think you are tough, don't you Madeline? Think you can break my ranks? I think not!" he shouted.

"Well, you are in for a surprise," I shot my hand down into my boot and brought out a silver stake. I saw his eyes widen in mock surprise.

"Whatcha think you’re going to do with that? Use it as a pacifier? Hmmm?" he panted as I thrust the stake into his body without a word or thought. "Not very smart I would think," he panted at last. His body finally went rigid as I tore the stake out of his body and tossed him away.

"Now who's gonna fight me now?" I said with all the power and authority I could manage. "Who wants to die next?" I raised my stake in the air. All the vampires' eyes followed the stake as I raised it, waiting for me to thrust it through one of their stomachs.

But at the moment all of them were about to turn away and flee, a lone vampire stepped out from the rest of the ranks. "Who do you think you are?" he rumbled across the lawn. "You, a little girl, kill us?" he laughed a silent laugh, which was even icier than the vampire I had just killed. "Just because you killed our commander doesn't mean you can defeat us all at one time. So I guess the better question is, are you about to kill yourself?"

I listened to the moaning of conversation spread around the lawn. Nobody had ever stood up to a vampire huntress. Ever. I listened to their low guttural speech as they spread the rumor all about them. Maybe he wants to change her to be our leader. She's strong now; she'll be even stronger when she is changed. I was surprised at what I had heard. They want me to be their leader?

"Silence," the man said in a low voice, but it carried around the whole lawn. Nobody protested as he said, "Let's make a deal. You win, I can be taken captive. We win, well, we change you," he smiled at the challenge, obviously expecting me to step down and surrender, waving a white flag of truce. Of course, no such thing happened.

"Deal," I said with a final tone. "You win I get turned into a horrid creature whose sole meaning in life is to kill as many people as they can." I grinned and repeated, "So we've got a deal." I raised my stake even higher into the sky and gave a loud roar of war. Because this is what this is. War.

The vampire ranks came toward me in large masses, surrounding me in a matter of seconds. I stabbed left then right, tearing the stake out of every body and plunged the stake through. I felt wild and it felt good. I tore through flesh and bone as I plunged once again through another vampire's body. Finally, as I looked around me, I saw carcasses surrounding me.

I sighed and finally let my shoulder relax. But that's what ended me. I broke rule number one: Stay on guard until you know for sure that you killed the entire vampire group in the immediate area before you move on.

I wasn't even able to take two breaths before cold hands gripped my shoulders and plunged me down to the ground, making me collide heads with a dead vampire that was once at my feet and was now beside me. My eyes widened as I looked above me into the eyes of a human. A human boy was standing above me. How odd, I thought until the world went black. But it did not blacken in enough time for me to see I was fooling myself. It was a boy, of course, but it was a vampire. A vampire with its fang's exposed and lunging for my jugular vein.