Chapter 30

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was a miracle. Euphoria built up in my chest and I ran to him with my arms held out in front of me anticipating the moment when I would be in his arms again. Running those few meters between us had never felt so slow. I didn't take my eyes off Asher's as I ran to him and I could see the happiness on his face as he held his arms out for me.

Finally my body slammed into his and I chucked my arms around his neck fiercely. His hands whirled around my waist just as forcefully and he pulled me tightly into him, his forearms clenching around my back. I buried my head into his neck and his hands grasped my hair.

A deep happiness swirled through me and contentment made my tight chest ease as my body relaxed from being in his arms again.

I inhaled deep breaths of his scent and I finally felt like I could breathe again as all that pain and anger I felt moments before washed away as soon as I was in Asher's arms.

"Oh Asher," I whispered softly but it came out as a cry, I didn't even notice that tears had started falling from my eyes. I thought I was never again going to be able to be held in his arms like this again.

"Hey, goofy," he murmured in my hair and I felt his soft breath on my neck, heating me through my entire body. I had never felt anything like the warmth that spread through me from feeling of his breath on my skin in that moment.

My heart burst happily from hearing the horrible name he made for me. I thought I hated that name, turned out I loved it.

"You're alive," I breathed in relief and pulled back to take his face in my both of my hands.

His eyes were bright as he laughed with a smile on his face, making his eyes crinkle. I couldn't contain my elation as a giggle burst out from my mouth.

"How are you here?" I spluttered, still in shock.

Asher opened his mouth to reply but I realised I didn't really care in that moment. I just wanted to kiss that mouth. So I did.

I planted my lips onto his and he instantly shut up and kissed me back. His lips softly ran over mine caressingly and warmth spread through me to the tips of my toes. I pushed all my love for him and relief from being with him again into the kiss and I felt my tears sprinkle down my cheeks as my heart squeezed from feeling this again. 

When Asher felt my tears on our cheeks, he pulled me in tighter into his body and curled his hand into the hair behind my ear, cupping the side of my head fiercely. I wrapped my hands into his hair, grasping onto him almost painfully and pulled him even closer to me if that were even possible. We heard a crash from beside us and Asher reluctantly pulled his lips away from mine as he took a deep breath.

"I'm so happy you're here," I whispered against his lips breathlessly. Asher reached his hand around to cup my face and he pulled back to place his forehead onto mine and I closed my eyes. Flashes of when I left him in that basement to die flashed across my vision and my chest seized up. I pulled back from him to grab onto the collar of his shirt with both hands desperately.

"I thought you died Asher. I thought -" I cried but he cut me off by placing his finger onto my lips.

"It's okay, I'm fine," he reassured, looking deep into my eyes. My heart started to slow down as I searched his calm reassuring blue eyes and the terror that had been suffocating my heart since I thought I had lost him disappeared.

"But are you? What happened here? I never thought I'd ever see you holding a gun to someones head," Asher questioned, cocking his head to the side as he stared into mine. As if trying to pry out all my emotions.

"He killed my brother and forced my father to steal from the city, I thought he killed you," I admitted solemnly as a tear fell down my cheek. Asher's eyes filled with sadness and he lowered his head so he could look straight into mine.