Chapter 1

A/N: Hey everyone, just letting you know that this book is now published. You can purchase your copy from online book retailers just as Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Booktopia, Book Depository and other other online book retailers. 

"You all did well in your essay," Mr. Lane says as he walks down the aisle, handing back the essays he had gotten us to write last week. "Although, there are others who I'm fairly disappointed with."

Mr. Lane stops in front of my desk, smiling proudly as he hands me my essay. "Congratulations, Mary-Kate."

I take the paper from him and he moves on to the next student. On the top right hand corner in red ink was an A plus. I smile to myself knowing I had gotten the highest mark, even if Mr. Lane hadn't announced it to the class. Unlike the rest of my classmates, I was excellent at writing essays. I once entered an essay competition last year, and came first in the entire country.

A hand taps my shoulder from behind. I spin around in my chair to face my best friend Keegan. "How did you go, MK?"

I smile, holding up the piece of paper proudly. "I got an A plus." I put it back down on my desk. "What about you?"

Keegan looks shamefully down at her paper before turning back to me. "B for me."

I give her an encouraging smile. "That's a good grade."

"Yeah, but it's nowhere as good as yours."

"You just have to keep writing them to get better."

"Is that what you do in your spare time? Write essays?"

I laugh. "No, I do not do that in my spare time."

Keegan raises her eyebrow to show she didn't believe me.

"Okay, sometimes I do. You know how my dad is this perfectionist. He expects me to write them perfectly. He gives me a topic to write about and expects five pages to be written. If I don't, he keeps making me write them over and over again."

Education is very important to my parents. Growing up, I have always been expected to do well in school. I was never that girl who would go off to camps for the summer. No. School break or not, I was always studying to stay ahead. Sometimes, I hate how my parents are both teachers - always pushing me to make sure I'm on top of my education.

You would think I'd dislike school with how strict my parents are about my education, but I really do enjoy school. Like my parents, I'm planning to become a teacher.

"Girls, do I need to give you detention?" Mr. Lane says to us from where he was standing in the back row from the other side of the room. "Please turn and face the front, Mary-Kate. Keegan, no talking unless you have a question to ask. You can talk once my class is over."

I obey my teacher.

The door opens and closes. It was no surprise who had walked in. Jordan Gates was always late for class. He was the biggest bad boy of the school who no one liked. He has a reputation. His entire family does. His father is in jail for manslaughter after drink driving and knocking down a pedestrian, killing them. As for his mother, she was a gambler and drug addict.

"It's nice of you to join us, Jordan," Mr. Lane says. "Is there a reason why you are late to my class?"

Jordan shrugs, not giving a care in the world. He takes the empty seat in front of me that's right in front of the teacher's desk. Every teacher in the school makes Jordan sit in the front row so they can keep a close eye on him.

Mr. Lane finishes handing out the rest of the papers before walking over to Jordan. He had a single piece of paper in his hand, which I assume is Jordan's essay. He stands in front of Jordan, placing the paper on his desk.