The Enemy's message

The Enemy's Message-chtr 1

God, this place stinks, I thought to myself as I kicked my car door open. My puma trainers were scruffy but they were comfortable, and they didn't dent the car as I nudged the door closed behind me. Grabbing my back pack from the back seat, I shrugged it over my shoulders and started off towards the office.

A slight drizzle had begun to fall, but it didn't bother me. England was subject to worse conditions; here it was still quite stuffy. Besides, I had done many strict training routines out in storms to get to where I was now; this was a nice change in climate.

Approaching the school office, I thought I sensed my name being mentioned somewhere in the school grounds, but I brushed it away. It probably wasn't any students, perhaps it was the office lady, seeing me walk past the glass door of the room, before pushing it open.

"Hello, I'm here to collect my timetable." I said, while taking in the surroundings. It was a small room, with a table, a small potted plant, and several chairs and of course, the desk.

"Oh yes, you must be Julie Scott, here is your information and timetable. This year, we are trying out a buddy system. You have been paired up with Miss Alice Cullen. She will meet you at lunch, by the library. I believe she is in most of your classes, which is good because she's in a lot of the top classes." The Cullen's, the very people I wanted to get to know, scratch that I needed to know.

"Thanks, so my first class is PE?" I winced internally as I recognised my mistake, little things like that would get me noticed as English, not many people would understand my way of speaking.

"PE?" The office lady asked her name, I noticed from the name tag on her blouse, was Ms Stone.

"Sorry, gym." I finished with a smile, which she returned with a nod, just as the bell went, signalling the first class.

"Thank you." I said, taking the rather fat pack from the desk and leaving the office.

In the corridors, I realised that there was a very lazy set of students. For the bell had gone just a short while ago, but people were still hanging around by the lockers, talking about assessments and homework for the next period, when they could be well on their way. My old school would have totally empty corridors by now; it was strange to spot all the differences between England and Forks, Washington. Some would say scary, possibly.

As I got changed for 'gym' there was a lot of talk about cross country running. Good, I thought, I enjoyed running. Out on the field there was a gentle mist, which I could see through easily. Getting ready for the run, Miss explained the rules to the class then set us off.

I ran with ease, average for the first two laps (it was a small field), then I decided to stretch my legs a bit, and with no effort at all, I was soon in the first three. The first two were neck and neck, and not that far away. They were the Cullen's, Alice and Edward, and therefore Vampires.