Chapter 28

A/N: I've decided to add one more chapter to Read His Mind since there were, in fact, many unanswered questions regarding Benson and the COT. I hope this will answer some of those questions. I'm sorry about the loose ends that weren't explained. :(

◈ ◈ ◈

Benson's POV 

A year ago

We drove on the road for hours with rest breaks in between until we reached the destination at last. They pulled me out of the van and we stood in front of a house. A woman came out and exchanged handshakes with Michael Wang. They talked for a little bit before going inside with me being dragged in behind them.

Once inside, I get introduced to the woman.

"Meet Dr. Bamba. He'll be taking care of you until you fully recover." She has her hair tied tightly into a bun and wore plaid underneath her doctor's coat. She didn't look like a bad person, but it could be just an act. 

"Hello, it's nice to meet you, Benson. I've heard a lot about your hallucinations from Michael."

"I'm not sick! I don't have any hallucinations!" I shout angrily. "Bring me back!" I fight hard against the men's hold on my hands but it only hurt my wound on the side.

"That's what they all say. Don't worry, I'll make you better," Dr. Bamba smiles at me. "Trust me, Benson." She turns to Michael Wang and says, "Leave this boy to me and you'll expect good results."

"Alright, thank you, Doctor." Michael waves his hand at the men behind me and they let me go. "We'll see you soon Benson." And with that, he leaves me behind with the doctor.

"Now let's go see the room you'll be staying at," she says with another smile. "Come with me." She starts to walk away but stops when she senses that I was not following.

"I'm not going anywhere with you. I don't need your help. There's nothing wrong with me." My hands tighten into a fist. "I'm going home. There's someone I need to be with."

"You can choose to come with me the nice way or the hard way. It's up to you, Benson," Dr. Bamba says calmly. "I recommend the nice way."

Since I didn't want to find out what the hard way was, I had no choice but to follow her. 

  ◈ ◈ ◈  

I stayed in the room they gave me for weeks, not willing to take the treatment or the tests. Dr. Bamba let me be for a while but ultimately, she had to report it to Michael Wang. 

He visited several times and tried to convince me with his words at first but when that failed, he brought evidence. Ones that proved Britney did, in fact, die because of a relapse of brain cancer. The reports were not fabricated.

As my brain struggled to acknowledge Britney's true death cause, Michael explained how I became like this. How the shock of finding out she was gone affected my head. How they planned to find me a doctor. How they were acting to be the bad guys when in reality, they weren't.

His story took a while to digest, but afterward, I could remember the pain I felt when I found out Britney died. The pain my heart and brain couldn't handle so it warped into something else completely.

I believed him after that and obediently took my treatment. Life was a constant cycle after that. 

Although the medicine tasted nasty, I didn't complain. I had to get better. The will to keep going was the special person who had my heart. Abbie.

Her "betrayal" made me angry for days, but as I said, the anger only lasted for days. It was soon replaced with the longing to see her again. I couldn't blame her for letting the COT take me. She did it for me. She wanted to help me get the help I needed.

It was harder to live without Abbie than it was to accept the fact that I had hallucinations. 

Every day I worked hard to recover and waited anxiously for the day I can finally go back to her.

  ◈ ◈ ◈  

A year later

It was a long journey, but I was finally all better. Dr. Bamba told me the good news last night and I was so happy. The thought of seeing Abbie was thrilling. I missed her so much that my heart hurt.

Michael Wang heard of my recovery from the doctor and gave me permission to leave. He sent a car over to the house and everything. 

I wasn't going back alone, though. Bobby was coming along with me. We are no longer enemies, big surprise. We never were, to begin with actually. He was acting evil per the COT's orders and when he dropped the act, we've gotten pretty close. He's become a father I've never really had (both my parents died in an accident). He tells me he's coming back with me to watch out for me and I believe him, but I'm sure it's also to make sure I don't go anti-COT again. And he still needs to play the role as my dad.

The day has finally come at last.   

  ◈ ◈ ◈  

I'm finally going to see her today. The excitement along with the nervousness made me feel unsettled. How was she going to react when she sees me? Do I mean as much to her as she does to me? Would she want me back? What will our future hold? 

"Are you even listening to me, Benson?" Bobby asks with a sigh, breaking my train of thoughts. We were on the way to school and he was prepping me for any possible questions people might ask me.

"Yeah, yeah I am," I nodded absently, staring out the window as I imagined what my reunion with Abbie would be like.

"Then what was I just telling you?" He glances at me and smiles, knowing he's got me. "Since you were listening to me the entire time and not daydreaming about your Abbie."

"I wasn't daydreaming about her," I deny right away. "I'm just... tired that's all."

"Sure you weren't," he chuckles. "As I was saying, when people ask where you've been and what not, say you transferred to another school. That's what we told the district when we took you out a year ago. Don't forget or else we're going to be in a bind."

"Yeah, I know. This is the third time you've told me this. Don't worry, I remember."

"Good, you better." We drive up to the front of the school and he stops at the drop off area. "Now get out of my car and find that girl who I know you've been missing so much." 

◈ ◈ ◈

I pull open the door and walk into the familiar hallways. Since class didn't start until a couple more minutes, the students were chatting with their friends by the lockers. I ignore the stares and whispers as I go past them.

"He looks familiar.."

"Who is that?"

I keep walking and that's when I see her. She stood out amidst the others. My heart sped up and I quickened my pace. I didn't think I'd find her so fast but this was good. We could finally catch up with each other. She stares at me as I make my way to her. She looked the same but different at the same time if that makes any sense. Her hair was longer now and she seemed happier than before. 

"Isn't that Benson?" a girl next to her exclaims in surprise. "That's Benson! What the hell!"

 When I reach her, I look into her eyes. Instead of saying it aloud, I think the words I want to say and unblocked my mind to let her read it. It's been a long time, Abbie. I missed you.

Her eyes tear up before she wraps her arms around me. Nothing ever felt so right when I returned the hug and held her back. 

  ◈ ◈ ◈  

A/N: Now with his POV, how's the ending now? Is it better than without it? Please say it is... 😓😔😞

Thank you for loving this story and I'll be forever grateful. 💗💗💗💗💗