Wind Whispers, Chapter 6: Avalanche

Chapter 6: Avalanche

That was the fastest summer ever experienced by any human being who ever drew a breath on this planet, I think. But the first two days of it were hell on earth.

From the day I first saw William Standing, the minutes seemed to fly by; I swore I could sit and watch an hour pass and it would feel like only a few minutes, the entire time my heart thudding in my chest as if I'd been running. What was the reason for the sudden acceleration of my life?

I was in love. And not just puppy-love, or a crush, or a temporary madness. Love. Real love. After seeing him once.

Now, I know I was only fifteen, but still...I'd never been your typical child, and at fifteen I was much more mature than my years. Besides, during those times girls married at my age all the time. But it wasn't just my age. It was the suddenness, the intensity, of my feelings.

Anyone who has been young and in love knows that it is a potent thing, a thing that takes on a life of its own, overshadowing everything with its passion. You feel as if the whole world is glowing, as if your feet barely skim the ground when you walk and everything tastes good, flavored by your sudden zest for life. The nighttime hours only exist to torment you, as you're forced to lay quietly in a bed while everything inside you wants to jump up and run forever, til your lungs burst with joy.

My first love. And the love of my life.

A first love and a true, life-long love combined is a rare bird indeed-and I was lucky enough to catch that bird for my own.

After William Standing left me speechless and breathless there astride my new horse, I had to run. Well, I had to let Belle run, something I discovered she did admirably well. We flew across the Texas plains until I could no longer see the farm, miles behind us, hidden by the waving green grass. I finally commanded poor Belle to stop by a small copse of cottonwoods when her labored breathing punched through my selfish haze; I led her into the shade and loosely tied her reins around a low-hanging branch, pouring water from my canteen and giving her a drink of water from my cupped hands. Then, my horse tended to, I slid into a graceless heap at the base of the same tree and put my head into my hands and began to cry.

All around the whisperers tried to soothe me, almost unintelligible with the tumult of the number of voices and differing opinions. I scrubbed my eyes fiercely against the tears until I saw stars, my mind raging in frustration at the chaos: it was accomplishing the exact opposite of what they intended, poor things. All I wanted was silence. Finally, I couldn't take it any longer and I screamed.

"Stop! Be quiet, please, and let me think!"

Dead silence reigned.

I sighed and closed my eyes, leaning back against the scratchy bole of the tree. I looked over at Belle, who stood close by me, munching contentedly on a mouthful of the tender spring grass, her big, dark eyes regarding me calmly.

"So, what do you think, Belle? Are we in trouble or what?"

She didn't reply. But then again, I hadn't expected her to. After all, I could only hear human voices. I think if an animal started talking to me I'd truly go mad. I closed my eyes again, trying to find a little perspective.

His face hovered behind my eyelids when I closed them, so I had to open them again. Darn.

All right, I told myself. Let's be logical here. So I have fallen for a complete stranger.

A completely unacceptable, complete stranger.

A completely perfect stranger.

Completely. Perfect.