Darkness

Prologue

Year 1421, A small town somewhere in Europe

“It will be so much easier if you just confess.” The man in a dark hooded robe said.

“I cannot confess to a crime I didn’t do.” The prisoner responded.

“Cell keeper,” the robed man said to a heavily muscled man, “lets see if a hundred more lashes will loose his tongue.”

“You’re making a huge mistake.” The prisoner said through gritted teeth as the first lash came in, “Killing me will just loose it sooner. Your children will suffer for what you are doing.”

“Ninety-nine, one-hundred.” The cell keeper said.

“Will you confess now?”

“I will not confess to a crime I didn’t commit.”

“Very well. You will be executed at dawn.” The robed man said as he left.

Dawn, the next day

“This man has been found guilty for high treason. Will any of you stand up for him?” The robed man said.

“I do!” said an old man.

            The robed man motioned to the guards and then him and the guards dragged him screaming off to the dungeons.

“Anyone else? Very well then, you may proceed.”

            The executer slammed the axe down on his neck. The head went rolling into the crowd, as a thundering boom echoed through the courtyard.

“My work here is done.” Said the hooded man as he took his hood off.  A dark swirling mist floated out of his hood and sunk into the ground.  Every human in attendance bled through their noses, ears, and eyes, and sunk to the ground dead. The town became known as haunted and people evaded it forever more.