CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE - Eavesdropping

Tyson POV

I walked into school with my best friend by my side. We were both quiet as I didn’t want to speak while Angel was giving me time to reflect on his words. Bits and pieces from our conversation in his mom’s car whirled in my mind, his last question louder than the rest:

“If I were to find another friend, someone else I started caring about, will you cut all ties with me as well?”

“No, of course not,” I answered silently. “But it’s different when it comes to Alex. She’s different, our relationship is different.”

I could almost hear him replying with “how so?”

“If you had another friend we can still be friends but if Alex has someone else, I can’t be there for her. I can’t share her, I won’t share her!” I replied to the Angel who was in my head.

“If you don’t want to share her, then fight for her!” The real, leaving and breathing Angel suggested from my right.

“W-what?” I stuttered, shocked by his words.
Had he read my mind?

I didn’t believe in all that psychic stuff, but how else could he answer me? We were close and he often knew what I was thinking about but being this accurate was impossible.

“I said that you should fight for her,” he repeated and then went on to clarify: “You said that you won’t share her.”

“I said that aloud?”

“Yeah. What did you think happened? Me reading your mind?” He snorted, finding the idea just as ridiculous as I did. That brought a small smile to my face; a smile that dissolved into a scowl as I saw a short brunette approaching us.

“Morning, guys!” Alex greeted in a cheery tone but she snuck a worried glance towards me. Just as Angel, she’d realized that I had been avoiding her although she did not know the reason. Well, I wasn’t planning on telling her.

“Morning, Alex,” my friend greeted the newcomer, tiredness creeping in his tone.

Okay, maybe I was sort of to blame for that but hey, I never asked him to butt in my business! It was him who decided to take the matter at heart and attempt to solve my problems. Not my fault he was so sensitive and sympathetic …

I sighed.

I could rant on and on in my head, claim that I was annoyed or even angry with him but the truth was that I was touched that he worried about me.

I turned around and saw that Alex was watching me, probably expecting me to greet her as well. I walked past her without saying a word. I heard two simultaneous sighs and I knew they came from her and Angel. I angled my head slightly to the side and using my peripheral vision I noted that they were walking a few steps behind me.

“What’s with him lately?” The girl queried through a whisper.

“You don’t know? You really don’t have a clue, Alex?” Angel responded just as quietly to keep me out of the conversation. I swear I felt like my ears were elongating in my attempts to listen to them. The girl must’ve replied as my friend went on.

“Then why don’t you ask him?”

Once more, I couldn’t hear her answer, but whatever it was it must’ve irritated Angel because his next words were a lot louder.

“Why do you two refuse to just talk to each other?!” He burst out and shouldered his way past me. I sped up to follow him, leaving Alex behind on her own.