3. Power

I got up from the ground as the wind whipped around us. This coouldn't be, powers like his should only be granted to Gaurdians of a high class.

"What... How can you do that..." I asked eyeing him. He just smiled back at me. What was this guy. I glanced at Ulric to see the same reaction I had. No one but Guardians should be able to have powers and only high class Guardians have elemental powers. The wind died down and his eyes stopped glowing. 

"Are you going to stand there like a scaried little kitten or will you come face me." he taunted. I growled and charged but with much held caution. His eyes began to glow again and I felt the wind pick up. Before I could react I was swept off my feet and blown away to the side but I didn't let that stop me. Digging my nails into the ground I lunged after him again. This time he raised his arm, I knew what he was going to do. I jerked to the right as a blast of wind hit the ground where I was and cut deep slashes into it. Wind blades, he's even more advanced than I thought. With all the force I could muster I slammed shoulder into his rib cage and sent him to the ground. He tried to get back up but I was on him instantly and pinned him down. 

"One!...Two!..." Ulric began the count but Charles started to growl under me so before he could do anything I bit hard into his collar bone earning a cry from him, I could even feel his powers start to drain. He was weak. He may have been a strong wolf and an Arcanist but he's past his prime and very weak compared to me. "Three!" Ulric called. I got up and looked down at Charles. He stared up at the sky for a moment then smiled and began to chuckle. I could only stare at him awkwardly as he laughed  and laughed. He slowly came to a stop and I saw a tear leave his eye. 

"I see so much potential in you young men." he rolled to his side and tried to get up but crumbled back down to the floor on his stomach. 

"Are you ok?" I asked him. He just chuckled and shook his head.

"I'm just old is all my boy." I nodded and helped him up. Even though we had just fought I could tell that he really meant no harm. He was just testing me was all. "You young folk have it good still. Wait til you get to my age, you're going to miss all that energy that you have now." He patted my back in thanks. 

"What was all that about and why do you have the power that you have?" I asked him. His joyful expression turned to a stern and serious one as he knew he would have to answer my questions. 

"Well I suppose it can't be helped. I'm a former commander of war my son. I was granted the ability of the winds from our goddess to lead our kind to victory, but I was badly injuried several years ago to the point where I could not command an army. Now I'm merely here to help protect the region. You could think of me as a lower class Guardian than you, someone who can help stand guard over one half of the region while you focus on the other. There are many others like me in the many regions around the world."

"Ok but why are you and these rogues here? You're the alpha but you say they won't listen to you. That makes no sense." I stated, which it didn't make sense. Wolves always listened to their alphas, it's how they keep order.

"Well yes that is true, unless the alpha position were to be taken by someone else very soon."

"You mean your son." Ulric said coming to stand with us. 

"Yes." Charles nodded. "He's become very strong and has been waiting to become the next alpha in our pack for some time now."

"Then why is he attacking innocent people with rogues, and why are there so many rogues in your pack?" I asked. Charles let out a long sigh. Seems as though this has been bothering him as well.

"You see, I am a very calm and sympathetic man, I rather avoid any conflict if possible. My pack has many rogues from all over because I open my arms to them, I give them hope and a place to stay. I also give them a second chance at family and life. A wolf without a pack is almost as good as dead." I nodded in agreement with him. "Yes some wolves would rather be on their own and I let them leave but not without letting them know that they may not dwell in my territory. Most will leave and others will stay."