Chapter 19: I Don't Respond to Demands

The next day, Lorenzo pulls into my driveway early in the morning.

After I let him in and he sits on my bed while I continue getting ready, I say, "You really don't have to pick me up."

"And let you walk in the dark? Yeah right. I was raised better than that. Anyways I want to spend time with my friend."

"Only friend?" I tease.

"Fine, best friend," Lorenzo corrects.

"I appreciate it and all, but you wake up so early to get ready and I'm just getting up while you're already here," I protest.

"Like I said, I want to spend time with my best friend. It's my life and I'll do whatever I need to to make what I want happens," he says firmly.

I roll my eyes and grab a pair of baggy pants and an extra large shirt.

Stubborn mule.

"Why do dress you like that?" Lorenzo asks before I can enter the bathroom.

"Like what?"

"Like that. You dress in baggy clothes. Like you want to hide your body."

"Because I feel like it."

Lorenzo goes into my closet and I follow him in. He goes through my clothes and starts pulling out shirts and jeans. He shoves a pair of black straight jeans and a loose olive button up top into my arms.

"Go try it on," he demands.

I lift an eyebrow and he says, "Please."

"I don't respond to demands, maybe if you ask correctly, I'll change."

"Linnea, will you please change into the clothes I gave you?" He asks, his voice sugary-sweet.

"Sure, Lorenzo! Anything for you!" I say with as much sugar.

When I come out and show Lorenzo, he doesn't say anything.

"Has my gorgeousness shocked you into silence?" I tease.

"Haha, very funny. See you look better than you did with the baggy clothes."

I smile as go downstairs to make breakfast. Lorenzo follows after bringing me a pair of knee-high boots. I quickly scramble some eggs and cut avocado to put on a slice of toast.

"Are you going to sit there or will you help?"

"Nah, I'm fine here. Hey, where's mine?" He asks after I sit down with my toast.

"The stove's right there. Make your own."

"Fine. Just remember, I can't cook, so if I try, I might burn down your house."

"Okay, fine. Take mine. I'll just make another one," I grumble.

He smiles and sits down while I get up to make more breakfast.

...

Lorenzo and I are at my locker in the morning before classes when I hear a voice behind me ask.