Fight For Life

My name is Shay Kingston, I suppose I’m kind of like you in most ways, except for one obvious problem, I have wolf ears. The only way for me to explain it is that I am half wolf, half human. I can make my ears disappear, but in this world, wolf, cat, and rodent people are to be expected, nothing new to us.

Another thing to add to the list of differences, we all have super natural power, I can shoot lightning from my hand, it’s fun, to add to that I can run as fast as lightning too.

Some of us are named after our powers, if it’s obvious what it is within the week after birth. My friend Lilly is an example, she can bend water to her will, most call her Water Lilly to be more exact.

Some people are named more for their personalities, like me, I’m Shay, because I was really shy when I was younger, but, I’m not really anymore. I’m a little shy around guys nowadays, but that’s the worst of it, their normally too scared to come anywhere near me though, because of my older brother, Fuego, which, in Spanish, is fire.

In my world, there is a tradition, were every ten years, kids, from ages thirteen to sixteen, are thrown in fifteen rounds, or less, depending on how many there are, to fight to the death until six are left, three girls, three boys. All of the other kids are either dead, or in the human world. Most do the latter.

We’ve all been training and dreaming of this our whole lives, or at least, those of us who are eligible for the next one.

I’ve dreamt of so many sanario’s, stabbing my enemies in their guts, walking in on the first day, to an empty room (that happened one year, only six kids showed up), and so much more, I just wish I knew which one to hope for.