Imagination Goes WILD

Lost. The meaning for the word is simple; unable to find one's way. Lost is how I would describe my current situation. Here I am in the middle of a dense forest with no idea how far away town is or which direction to take. 

It was foolish of me to not inform anyone of my whereabouts. Especially my parents who I presume are extremely worried. I can visualise my father ordering people around in sign language while trying to organise a search party. Even without the ability to speak he is very persuasive. No one wants to be on the receiving end of my dad's death glare. 

I am perplexed that I did not notice how late it was. In the clearing the stars were twinkling down like silent alarm bells. They were warning me that if I stayed any longer I would be unable to get home until morning. 

I set off in a random direction with no compass or map for guidance. Looking around for some familiar land mark I grievously realise that every tree, bush and rock I pass looks similar to the last.

A feeling of isolation has started to envelope me. I'm completely lost and there is no one in the area except for the wild animals; dangerous animals. I pull my black coat tighter around my body attempting to be invisible. The action is futile. The forest continues to close in on me. 

The canopies of the trees above have virtually blocked out the light of the moon. The darkness is now overwhelming and my line of vision is less than a metre. The perception of being watched from the eyes of unseen predators lurking in the dark terrifies me. 

An owl abruptly hoots from a nearby tree and I scream with fight. The surrounding wildlife scuttles away. I let out a relieved sigh when everything quietens down again. My overactive imagination is taking hold. It conjures up images of gruesome encounters which only exist in fantasies.

The relief remains with me until I hear a twig snap from behind. Shock consumes me. My breathing is shallow and my hands begin to perspire. I start to tremor and then realize that an animal could easily eat me if I dropped unconscious to the forest floor. The need to move becomes paramount. I start to sprint at full speed as though my life depends upon it. In this instance it probably does. 

Minutes later I trip over one of the unseen obstacles hiding in the undergrowth. Hissing in pain I swiftly get back on my feet and keep moving. My knee is injured but I don’t stop as I am unsure how far behind the predator is. Too scared to turn around and check as I am fearful of coming face to face with a deadly creature. 

Suddenly there's a light up ahead, flittering through the thick branches of the trees. I realize it's the lights of civilization. At last the chance of surviving becomes a possibility. In an adrenaline rush I push my legs to accelerate. Movement on my right promptly draws my attention and I come to a frightening conclusion that the predator is closer than previously thought. 

I consider this is the end when the animal begins to close in on me.  I imagine myself viciously mauled to death by a pack of wolves or ripped to shreds by grizzly bears. I silently pray to God to watch over my family while I'm gone.  Blocking out every sound and feeling, I ready myself for imminent death. I don’t put up a fight when knocked to the ground. There is no hope of escape because the savage beast easily overpowers me. 

Curiously I open my eyes to demystify what type of animal will end my life. However what confronts me is wholly unexpected. Instead of a predator I find my saviour.

"Daddy?"

The End

Please remember to ... Vote, comment and fan! :)