4: New Friends

Jamie's POV

  It's our third day at St. Andrew's, and I've got to say, I'm loving it here. I really am. The people in my class are really nice to me and Nick. We had no problems making friends or finding our way through campus. Senior year was great, so far.

  I couldn't make conclusions like that just yet. It's only been three days after all.

  In other news, my younger sisters weren't doing as well as I was. While Aaron and I were all over school with our new friends and having a great time, I wish I could say the same for Blair and Elain.

  We talked about it last night before going to bed. Apparently, everybody was ignoring Blair, while Elain was busy ignoring everyone. I wondered what the difference was between my class and their class.

  "Eh, it's just some sort of phase," Nick had told me over the phone. "I mean with Elain, as for the thing with Blair, I don't know."

  Blair always used to fit in before. I mean, more than fit in: Stand out. But now she's just...no one.

  I wish I could find out why and find some way to help her, cause it's killing me to see her tag along at lunch time with Elain and her friend.

  I shuddered as I watched her playing with her food while Elain and Kylie were having an animated conversation. Oh Blair, you look like such a loser right now. Even though it was probably evil and for sure, Blair was not gonna like it, I snapped a picture of the pathetic scene with my phone. It wasn't everyday that I saw a solitary Blair.

Suddenly, my phone vibrated, alerting me to a text from Nick.

  I'm outside. Let's eat out here.

  Okay. I'm still grabbing my lunch. Wait a sec.

  I slipped my phone back into my pocket and carried my lunch tray to the back doors of the Cafeteria. I was moving slowly, trying not to spill my ice tea as I was moving along.

  "I found out from some Sophomores that her name is Blair Clark."

  I stopped in my tracks at the mention of my sister's name coming from somewhere near me. Three girls were sitting at a table talking about her. I decided to listen in.

  "Blair Clark, eh?" The blonde girl in the middle said, looking at an iPhone screen. I peeked beyond her head and saw a picture of Blair talking with some guy, her face looking rather serious. Ah, Blair had talked--no, gushed--about him. The blonde guy who gave her directions. She had told us that he was cute, but I couldn't see his face in the picture. Just a blue hoodie, a Jansport backpack, and some slacks.

  "And she's new, am I right?" the blonde girl asked.

  "Yup," the brunette beside her said, sounding rather problematic.

  "Well, she's got some gall," the blonde scoffed. "She hasn't even made a friend and she's already looking for a boyfriend."

  My eyes grew wide in shock. Boyfriend? The lad was just giving her directions! Talk about an over-reaction.

  "I made sure of that," the red-head said. The two other girls looked at her like a secret had just slipped out of her mouth. "The no friends part, I mean," she clarified, and her two friends settled.

  "How?" the brunette asked.

  "I showed some Sophomore girls her picture and told them not to talk to her or they'd regret it."

The three of them laughed the way evil witches did in fairytales. I.could practically see a couldron with boiling green goo and old brooms in the corner.