Chapter 16: Questioning Time

"I hate him," I snapped, arms crossed tightly as I glared. 

"You don't hate him. I'm sure if you talked to him you'd get along," Steve reasoned, ever the diplomat. 

"Did I show you what he did to my back when I wasn't looking?"

"Yes, that was the first thing you did when you stalked in here," he replied mildly, but offered me a sympathetic smile. 

Glancing around the Rec Room, reserved solely for the use of the Avengers in their free time, I looked for something to possibly burn and release my frustration on. Apart from Steve and me, the room was devoid of superheroes. Rogers sat on the sofa, reading, while I stood before him, just finishing my angry tirade about why Wolverine was a psychopath. The three cuts along my back were just about healed three hours later, but my pride had been wounded most. 

"I don't see the problem. There's no permanent damage - that's what happens in training," Steve continued, looking back down at his book. 

I scowled. "Where's the honour in attacking someone from behind? In Asgard -"

"But this isn't Asgard. The bad guys aren't going to tap your shoulder and let you know that they're going to try to kill you. You have to be ready for anything. That's why I think it's a good thing that Logan's your partner - he's unpredictable, just like a real villain."

The door opened suddenly and Clint came in, glancing around distractedly. 

"Has anyone seen a book lying around?"

"What book are you looking for?" I asked, seeing Steve slowly hide the book he was reading underneath the couch as Hawkeye looked at me fleetingly.

He paused, looking embarrassed, and then shook his head. "I think I just remembered where it is. Thanks anyway."

He left in a rush, passing Tony who was just strolling into the room. 

"What's the hurry, Clint? Lost The Hunger Games again?" Tony called after him, grinning. 

"If you've took it, Stark-" Clint said angrily, wheeling around. 

Tony laughed, enjoying Clint's annoyance. "I have better things to do with my time then read The Hunger Games, Clint."

Clint scowled, looking suspicious, before leaving. When he was gone, Steve took the book out from its hiding place, looking relieved. Sure enough, Steve held Clint's book. Tony noticed, and rolled his eyes. 

"Seriously, Cap?"

Steve looked defensive. "It's a good book."

Stark sighed, giving Steve a look that clearly questioned his sanity. Cap ignored this and turned back to his book, while Tony came over to me. 

He abruptly hugged me, and I took comfort in his welcome, familiar warmth. 

"What was that for?" I asked eventually when he finally released me from the embrace, and he smiled. 

"It was a I'll-cheer-you-up-Firefly hug. I heard about your training … accident."

"It wasn't an accident. He did it on purpose!" I said tightly, flaring up again. 

Tony touched me lightly on the arm, looking sympathetic. "Want me to blast him? I've been working on a new energy repulsor for my suit."

I couldn't help but smile, touched by the offer. "That might not be the best idea - he’d make tomorrow's training session even worse. Thanks anyway."