Chapter 1- You can call me Syn.

I felt like the world around me stopped moving as soon as the words passed my lips. “Who am I?” Those 3 words seemed to stop time.

“You don’t know who you are?” the nurse asked, cautiously. I just looked at her. I wracked my brain trying to remember anything about my past…

The only thing that keeps running through my head is the name, Ryleigh.

I mean, that has to be my name right? If that’s the only thing that I can remember…

“Did I not have any form of Identification on me?” I asked her. She just shook her head ‘no’. “I’m going to go get your doctor. He may be able to help get you some answers.” She said leaving the room…leaving me to my thoughts, until someone returned. My hand instinctually covered my abdomen.  

A baby. A tiny life that was growing inside of me. Possible proof that was someone, to somebody. But then again…I could be no one…

Maybe no one cared about me…that’s why no one has come looking for me? I mean, I’ve been here a week, and no one has tried to find me?

“Ma’am?” a voice called, snapping me out of my slight panic attack. I looked up at him, meeting his eyes. “Can you tell me anything that you remember?” He asked me, shining this flashlight into my eyes. The more I try to remember, the more frustrating it gets that I can’t remember. I could feel the tears coming to my eyes. “I-I’ve tried to remember…the only thing that comes to mind is ‘Ryleigh’” I said, wiping the tears that were now streaming down my cheeks. “Ryleigh? That’s all that you can remember? Nothing about where you live, or if you have any siblings…not even a last name?” He asked me again, checking the wound on my head.

“N-nothing…but that has to be my name right? Ryleigh? If that’s the only thing that I remember…” I asked him, hope filling my voice. “Possibly ma’am, but there is no way to tell. You didn’t have any form of I.D. on you when you were dropped off. The young lady that dropped you off refused to say anything, and was gone before we could question her.” He said, doing other doctor things.

“Wh-Where will I go? If I don’t know who I am…where will I go? Where will I raise my child?” I asked him. He sighed heavily. “In cases like this, the patient is usually sent to a group home specifically for memory loss patients. It’s here in Los Angeles, and there are doctors on sight. You’ll be free to come and go as you please. It’s kind of like an apartment complex. But before you can leave on your own, you have to pass the tests that you will be given. In some memory loss patients, they will constantly forget things, which can be bad if they are on their own. They won’t be able to find their way back…You’ll have therapy sessions every day, to try to help your memory, and you’ll go from there.” He explained.

I was trying to soak it all in. “So, I’m going to be living in a halfway house?” I asked him. He chuckled. “No, not a halfway house, you’re not a criminal. Just….assisted living as it may be.” He mused. I made an ‘O’ with my mouth.

“When will I get to go?” I asked him. “Well, I want to keep you for at least another day, to watch your progress. But everything seems to be fine. Your vitals are good, baby’s heartbeat is strong…you should be able to get out of here tomorrow afternoon maybe?” He said.

“One more question doc, and I’ll stop bugging you for a while.” I said. “Shoot.”

“About how long do you think it’ll be before I can remember anything?” I asked him. Yet again, he sighed. “Memory loss is a complicated thing ma’am…” He said, before I cut him off. “Please call me, Ryleigh.” It’s the only thing that connects me to the memory that I don’t have…” I pleaded. “Ok, Ryleigh, as I was saying, it’s complicated. It can be anywhere from an hour from now, to weeks, to years…to…to never.”