Chapter Twenty-Five - Sectumsempra

I know that in the film the bathroom in which Harry attacks Draco is different to how it looks in the second film, but I think in the book of the Half-Blood Prince it refers to the attack taking place in Moaning Myrtle's Bathroom. Also, I thought having a screaming ghost would make it more dramatic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A week later, I sat alone in the Great Hall, nibbling melancholically at my breakfast. Honey had a detention this morning, and Sophia was offering extra Quidditch lessons to one of the new beaters, who was in desperate need of extra training. As usual, Draco was nowhere to be seen, and I wasn't particularly in the mood to sit with Hermione, Harry and a now better Ron and listen to Hermione's deflections about how Ron had exactly broken up with Lavender.

I dipped one of my bread soldiers into the boiled egg and scanned the room boredly. Everybody was going about their regular business - chatting with friends about the events of yesterday, catching up on homework due for the first lesson. At the top table, the teachers were talking quietly among themselves, most likely about trivial things, and nobody seemed to notice the missing figures from the room.

I shut my eyes, and found my mind flashing back to another, happier time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everybody was staring at Blaise and I.

Perhaps I should have anticipated the looks of admiration mingled with jealousy, but I hated people looking at me, even then. Blaise lapped up the attention, grinning broadly and waving at his friends, clearly happy with the care I'd taken over my appearance tonight and the fact that his date looked - as he put it - positively mesmerizing.

I had put a lot of effort into my dress, as all the girls had. I'd bought it from Madam Malkin's, and felt stunning in it. The dress was made from midnight-blue chiffon and designed in the style of the Ancient Greek ladies, with an v-neck bodice that cinched slightly at the hips and a dark blue ribbon around the waist and tied in a bow at the back. A few blue sequins had been sewn into the floaty skirt and bodice, and I'd accessorized with a silver charm bracelet and pretty blue droplet earrings. Sophia had done my hair for me - plaiting the sides and pinning it into a bun at the nape of my neck. Along with the blue corsage that Blaise had given me, I felt absolutely stunning.

I nervously allowed Blaise to lead me towards where the other Slytherins in our year were waiting for the entrance of the champions. Sophia looked amazing in a short pink dress with a tutu-like skirt and a beaded bodice, and Honey looked positively fatal in a slinky red dress and matching red lips. The boys, all dressed in their finest dress robes, admired the appearances of the girls as we arrived. I blushed as I heard the approving intake of breathe when their eyes fell upon me.

"Li, you look beautiful" Goyle gasped as if he could hardly believe it. I rolled my eyes, and Sophia slapped his arm jokingly. "She always looks beautiful, twit" she joked. Goyle shrugged his shoulders, "true, but tonight you look..."

"Stunning."

We turned to see whom was behind us and who had spoken. There, the final members of the fourth year Slytherin group had arrived - Draco Malfoy accompanied by a smug-looking Pansy Parkinson. It was Draco who had spoken.

I had never really known Draco - not well enough to call him a friend at least. Despite the fact that we'd been in the same house and year since our first year, he was simply a person that I had never really been particularly close to. His views on pure-blood supremacy had always disgusted me, and his arrogant personality had driven me even further away.

Draco Malfoy was not somebody I regularly associated with.

Pansy on the otherhand was somebody that I was friends with, although not by choice. I despised her, but since she was one of the most popular girls in Slytherin - although some would argue still beneath me in the whole friendship ranking - and I shared a dorm room with her, it was difficult to avoid her. She looked pretty tonight, as much as it pained me to admit it, in a olive green strapless dress with a large, princess-like skirt. A pearl necklace sat on her slim throat, and a conceited smile decorated her face, although it soon faded when she heard her date - and supposedly her boyfriend's - compliment of me.