Chapter 13

I was jolted back into consciousness by a hand roughly shaking my shoulder.

"Come on, wake up already," groaned Perdita.

Wait... Perdita? My eyes flashed open. A pocked face was bent over mine. A shudder of fear ran through me, before the memories of last night flowed back into my mind.

Perdita looked sad. "Sorry if I scared you," she whispered.

"No, I'm sorry," I said sincerely. "I... It just... surprised me." Guilt was rising up in me. She had already been through so much, and now, if only for a brief second, her own sister had seen her as a monster.

"I know. It takes some getting used to," she said. Suddenly, she brightened. "So, what's up with you and James?"

I shot a nervous glance to my right, but then realized James wasn't lying there anymore.

"Oh, him and Aidan went to find the river. Luke and Vanessa are somewhere over there," she explained, gesturing to the left. "So, spill!"

"Nothing, really..." I offered feebly, avoiding eye contact.

She just laughed. "You're not getting out of telling me, if that's what you're hoping. So, is he your boyfriend?"

"No!" I exclaimed. She looked taken aback. I lowed my tone of voice and said, "Well, not yet."

"Aw, that's so cute! My little sister has a boyfriend!"

"Shut up, I do not!" I exclaimed, willing my face not to flush scarlet.

"Sure, 'Elle'," she said with a wink. "What's up with the fake name, anyway?"

"I didn't want to tell them my real name, just in case."

She rolled her eyes. "That's so typical of you. When are you going to tell them? It should be soon, especially considering your thing with James." 

I sighed. "I know, I know. But how am I supposed to tell them? 'Hey guys I've been lying about my name this entire time, it's actually--'"

"Shh he's coming back," she murmured, glancing over her shoulder.

"Hey, you're awake!" called James as he jogged over towards us. A wide grin broke out over his face as he offered me a hand.

I grasped his hand firmly, and he pulled me straight into a hug. Suddenly I was really conscious of the fact I hadn't been able to properly bathe in months.

I pulled away and said, "I'm going to go take a quick rinse in the river, okay?"

"Can I come?" he asked, drawing me back into the strong circle of his arms.

"You wish," I smirked.

"I do," he whispered, leaning down to softly brush his lips on my jawline.

"As entertaining as this is to watch, I'm starting to feel just a tad awkward," announced Perdita, with a laugh.

"Sorry," said James, giving her a grin. He didn't sound sorry at all.

"I'll be back soon," I muttered, staring at the ground.

He leaned down, tickling my ear as he whispered, "You're cute when you're flustered."

I slipped out of his grasp, and started to walk towards the river. I could feel Perdita's eyes on me. Risking a quick glance, I saw that she was smirking at me. She opened her mouth to say something, but I cut her off.

"Not a word," I growled, stalking off in the direction of the river.

Her crackling laughter drifted after me.