13 - Arrival

Camicazi smiled for the first time in many days as she watched a ship with Berk's crest slide into port. The sun shone brightly through the scattered clouds as it passed the midpoint of its arc across the sky. The wind blew gently, bringing in the salty smell of the sea. This good weather was especially welcome after the storms that had rolled through for the past couple weeks. Helping to repair buildings after damages sustained by a chain of storms with heavy rain, hail, and strong winds left Camicazi with sore arms and tender blisters.

Hopefully, Hiccup would be on-board that ship to take her mind off how sore she still felt. That little Hooligan had been her best friend from another tribe. Both he and she were small and runty for their age and shared common interests in exploring and simply getting into trouble.

However, he's been a ghost for the past couple years. Last year, she went with her tribe to visit Berk to trade, but everyone had said Hiccup was elsewhere. Threatening the Hooligans and whining to Ma did very little to reveal where, exactly, elsewhere was, surprisingly enough.

Camicazi idly watched the Hooligans as they debarked from the extended ramp, wobbling for the first few steps on solid land. The first to step off, of course, was Stoick the Vast, who jovially greeted Camicazi's mother and chiefess, Big Bertha. They exchanged bellows that could be heard halfway across the island – nothing new there.

Then, there was the repugnant Spitelout and his punk son, Snotlout. Even though Snotlout was Hiccup's cousin, he was the exact opposite in every way. He was broad and strong... arrogant, prideful, haughty, rude, and boastful. He would flex his muscles at Camicazi as if that would somehow impress or intimidate a girl who trained to use speed and agility to slide a blade into people's arteries.

Snotlout has always given Hiccup a hard time and Camicazi wouldn't stand for that. Sure, Hiccup has always been a wimpy pushover, but he's also crazy. Crazy is entertaining, so Camicazi keeps an eye out for him. Besides, it sometimes allowed her to showcase her impressive sword fighting skills. Today, though, she had different ideas for how to undermine Snotlout. Maybe slide a knife against his throat when he's alone and take his coin. Or, better yet, take advantage of the fact that her body was starting to... fill out... and lure him in and lead him on before leaving him brokenhearted and doubled over in pain.

Yes, toying with his cold heart could be fun!

The rest of the Hooligans that shuffled off the boat were the usual assortment of large, broad Vikings with long beards and large axes - the usual dragon-slaying lot with strength, pride, honor, and all sorts of other worthless traits and values that scream to the world, "I refuse to think for myself, so I'll mindlessly do what my Pa says until I die a meaningless death!"

Still no Hiccup. She vowed that if that boy wasn't on that boat, she would find him and flog him with her belt until he–

"Hiccup!"

The sinister devilish inventor himself was finally spotted behind all those sacks of meat. The one Viking on Berk who actually has an imagination and sense of adventure. Traditions be damned, this boy can actually think for himself. It's amazing his father hasn't disowned him, yet, with how much the boy approaches a problem with logic instead of tradition.

Camicazi ran up to him without another word with her long, blond hair flowing behind. She grabbed him by the wrist to forcefully drag him along the dock towards the beach, elbowing her way through the Vikings and shimmying along the edge of the dock. She "lost her balance" and "accidentally" pulled Snotlout off the dock and into the water to right herself again, then slid herself and her follower past Stoick towards freedom.

Hiccup hesitantly followed her lead – as if he had any choice – with all the usual uncertainty he always has in the presence of his condescending elders. His usual witty sarcasm was still there, though, as he quickly shot out, "Uh, I think I gotta go, Dad. See you later tonight. You're as cordial and patient as ever, Cami. Nice to see you, too, on this fine-GAH"