Chapter 3: Childhood Sweetheart

Chen watched you stomp into the house and run up the stairs so he thought it would be a good idea to get inside and go to his room before his dad found out what he had done. He grabbed his towel and hopped up the stairs drying his hair with it. He held his ear to your bedroom door and heard you scream so he thought he would let you calm down before apologising. So he went to his room and shut the door. He started to put his clothes away into the small set of draws and when he opened the bottom one he came across an old dusty frame.

Chen tilted his head to the side and grabbed it, turning it over his heart stopped. He wiped his hand over the glass to brush the heavy layer of dust away and stared down at the image. It was a picture of you and him sat on one of the sun loungers by the pool eating ice cream. You were both smiling widely and he remember that being the last day he'd laughed along with you.

-Flashback-

"Come on, Jongdae-oppa!" You yelled and ran out of the kitchen holding a huge bowl of chocolate flavoured ice cream. "Let's eat it by the pool!" You sat down on the lounger and Chen followed your lead, sitting on the same one taking a huge spoon full of his strawberry ice cream and stuffing it into his mouth.

"Arrgggghhhh!" He yelled and held his head between his hands hissing in pain. "Ice cream headache! Ice cream headache!"

You started to laugh at him and he scowled at you, pouting his lips. You leaned forward and pressed your lips lightly to his forehead and he froze and looked up into your big eyes. "Better?" You asked him thoughtfully and he nodded, his cheeks blushing a light shade of pink.

Your mum walked out into the bright summer sun holding a small envelope, Chen's dad following closely behind. "Happy birthday darling!" You mother spoke and handed a card over to you. You put your food down and ripped it open. The card was white with silver glitter stuck to the front saying 'Happy 12th Birthday'. You smiled and hugged your mum.

Chen's dad pulled out a camera and said, "cheese!" You and Chen looked at the camera smiling like idiots holding your bowls of ice cream in your hands.

"I can't wait till I'm 13," Chen said and stuffed a smaller spoon of ice cream into his mouth.

"We have some good news, kids," your mother said and looked at Chen's dad with a big, contented smile. You both looked at your parents and raised your eyebrows. "We're getting married!" She squealed excitedly and you ran to hug your mother and soon-to-be-step-father, congratulating them.

Chen, however, remained seated, staring at his father in disgust and sadness. His heart melted into a pile of slime and he stared at you with tears filling his eyes. He looked at his dad and said, "Why?"

-Flashback Over-

Chen fell onto his bed grasping the frame tightly. He held it against his chest, hugging himself and a small tear rolled its way down his cheek. "Wae?" he muttered to himself. "Why does she have to be my sister?" He looked at the picture once again and started to sob quietly to himself. "I love you, ________, and I wish you knew." He lay down on his bed and slowly drifted off into a deep sleep, dreaming of a world where his dad didn't marry your mother, a world where he could love you and not have to hide it. Nobody could know, if people knew he was in love with his sister he would never hear the end of it, not to mention he wouldn't be able cope with the pain of your rejection.