Chapter Twenty-Seven

Twenty-Seven – Lisa

Normally when I monster attacked me, I had sort of a vision, giving me a glimpse on how I would be attacked. But usually when I was actually in the moment of being attacked, I forgot the vision and fell into the trap that it warned me about. I thought that after the zombie attacked me, I would have another vision tonight. But I didn’t I had a good dream for once.

                It was about my mother. She had phoned me. I wasn’t quite sure how she got my phone number but I was so overjoyed to be able to talk to her I didn’t even ask. She wanted me to go out to have a coffee with her in town and she wanted me to bring Lucy. I got Lucy and was about to go out the door, when Jack stopped me and was telling me not to go. I got angry. I saw him and me yelling and arguing at each other. This was our worst fight that I ever saw…so I guess that it wasn’t as good as I had expected. I was shocked as I saw myself slap him. He said something to me but I wasn’t quite sure what it was that he said. He looked at me and I walked out of the room and then, he did something kind of scary… He looked at me, though I did not know whether or not he could see me, and he smiled, baring me teeth, brightly. There was something different about this smile. It seemed…evil.

                And his teeth…they were sharp. As soon as he did this I woke up and sat up bolt upright. My breathing was heavy and I was sweating. Some good dream that was. I looked next to me. Jack was still there, sleeping, but he stirred and slowly opened his eyes and looked up at me. I drew a sharp breath in. He just lay there, in the same position. Staring at me. It was only then that I thought that Jack looked very frightening. “J-Jack?” I stammered.

                He slowly sat up, his eyes never leaving mine, “What is the matter, Lisa?”

                I breathed out. His eyes were still staring! And he wasn’t blinking either. “Um, can you just blink…just a couple times? Please?”

                He blinked twice. “What is wrong?”

                I raised my hand and stroked his cheek. He looked at my hand. “I just…I just had a bad dream.”

                “A vision?” he asked.

                “No, just a bad dream.” I sighed. “You were in it.”

                “What was I like?”

                I hesitated, “Scary…” I mumbled.

                “Scary?”

“Yeah, you stared at me,” I explained, “And then you smiled, which made you look really evil and you had…Jack you had sharp teeth. Is it just me or does the subject of sharp teeth keep coming up in our lives?”

                “It is just you.” He replied stretching.

                I forced a smiled. “God you looked so scary.”

                “Are you afraid of me now?”

                “Uh…”

                He leaned forward and stared right in my face. I jumped back. Crap! He looked so scary! Looking away and embarrassed, I heard him chuckle. Damn! Why was I so afraid of my own husband? It was just a stupid dream! “You are quite afraid of me.”

                “But you make yourself look scary.” I countered.

                “What is one kisses you?”

                “I dunno,” I said reluctantly. “Think I just wanna go back to—”

                Too late. He kissed me. I suddenly wondered why he was suddenly so open and playfully happy. I know that we did just make love earlier tonight, but he was acting…differently.

                I pulled back. “Are you still afraid of me?” he asked.

                “No…” I so was. Maybe it was because it was night time. “Ask me again in the morning.”

                “As you wish.” He said.

                I lay back on my side and closed my eyes. Jack wrapped his arm around me tightly. Too tightly... He laughed quietly. Okay was he drunk or something? I shifted uncomfortably. “Jack, what have you been drinking?”

                “Your saliva,” he teased.

                “Okay,” I turned to face him, “Who are you and what have you done with my husband?”

                “I am Jack Usatan and I ate your husband,” he grinned playfully, but seeing my serious face he added, “Of course I shall never to that. What do think is wrong with me?”

                “You just don’t seem yourself.” I replied. Damn. I couldn’t look him in the eye. “You are so much more…playful.”

                “Is that bad?” he asked.

                “No, it’s just…it’s new…”

                “Is it…scary?” he tumbled onto his back and threw his head back and laughed again.

                I frowned. “Jack, why are you laughing? You hardly ever laugh!”

                “I…I just love you,” he replied, innocently.

                I sighed. He was never going to tell me. I started to wonder. Was something going to happen that he really wanted to happen? The bad dream flooded back into my mind. Was he…was he going to…kill me?