Chapter One

"Zombies let us explore notions of the apocalypse - no water, food, medical care, the government imploding - while letting us sleep at night." Max Brooks

It started off as any normal day in New York- the business men and women hailed down taxis as they barked into their phones, shipments slowly made it's way through China Town as Little Italy began to open its little shops and restaurants across the way, the poor desparetly searched for cans to sell as others carelessly threw them away- but not for one man.

"The end is near!" he screamed as he held up a crude cardboard sign. "Prepare yourself for the destruction the world deserves!"

"Good morning sir." a young looking woman with a red apron on said as she tried to keep a hold of the small books and pamphlets she had cradled in her arms. "Would you like a pamphlet or book?"

"I don't need your books! Go inside and prepare for the end girl!" he shouted and flew his arms in the air like a madman.

"Well, God bless you sir." she said awkwardly for she didn't know, for once, how to respond to the man.

"No god will save you now, girlie!" he screamed after the girl. "Its upon us! The end!"

"Hey, man," a man in his early twenties said with a wide grin on his face, "Keep up the good work." he laughed as he handed the man a twenty dollar bill.

"This is no joke boy!" he angerly protested as he snatched the green bill, "You should be preparing yourself for the end!"

"What end?" the young man asked, "The zombie apocalypse?"

"Yes! The apocalypse! Zombies, death, plague! Everything boy!"

"Use that dollar to help prepare yourself then." the man laughed and walked down the street.

"This is no joke! I don't need your money!" the wide eyed man screamed before stuffing the money into his pocket. He was about to say more, but one look across the street silenced his loud mouth. A police officer was staring seriously at the homeless, a hand on his belt. "We'll need police for what's going to happen!" he finally settled for. The officer simply shook his head and carried on his way.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

"Doctor-" a man in a white coat said awkwardly. He was new to the hospital and was just learning the names of his new coworkers.

"Hello boy." another man, older than the first smiled. He wore a white coat as well, but under his coat he wore a brown, pin striped jacket with a white collared shirt and blue tie tied tightly around his neck. His black rimmed glasses rested on the end of his nose, but he pulled them off and set them on top of his spikey red hair. "You can just call me the Doctor, most people do anyways."

"Like Doctor Who." the man replied.

"What's Doctor Who?" the Doctor asked with a severely confused face.

"Never mind," he waved off the subject, "I was just going to to tell you that I was going to do some tests on the spores in the C wing."

"Oh, yes, that's fine." he said and continued to write a lab report he had to finish.

"I'll need the keys and password."

"Oh, yes of course! My apologies, here you are." he replied and handed the man the keys, "3-7-9-4-6"

"Thank you Doctor-" he tried once more for the man's name.

"Smith, John Smith." the Doctor laughed at the young man's persistence.

"Okay, goodbye Dr. Smith." the young man smiled as he spun around and headed out the door, tossing the keys up in the air before catching them behind his back. "Hello apocalypse."