Part 25

Chapter 25

Aubrey silently urged Alin on.  His secret was not hers to tell, and it may not have made a difference whether everyone knew, but she wanted all secrets out in the open.  His eyes connected with hers, begging her to let him keep it silent. 

“Alin,” she started, “if you do not want to tell them, you can keep it a secret.”

He glanced around at the people sitting around him and then let out a sigh.  “It is not important,” he mumbled.

Standing from her chair, she walked towards him.  His face was turned from hers, but when she knelt down beside him and reached up to grab his face, he had no choice but to look at her.  “Alin, I love you; I always have.  Tell me, what do the opinions of these men mean to you?”

Alin glanced around at the others before connecting eyes with her.  “Nothing, their opinion means nothing to me, only yours.”

“You have told me, and my opinion of you has not wavered.  Tell them if you wish, Alin, but do so for yourself, not for me.”

“Fine,” he mumbled, “I will tell them.”  He sat straighter in his chair, before making eye contact with each of the men staring back at him.  “Sit back in your seats,” he said in a lighter tone.  “This is the most complicating tale of them all.”

Aubrey smiled at him.  Instead of walking back to her seat, she sat at his feet, his hand in hers.  If he needed the added support, then she would provide it to him. 

“It is an endless cycle,” he started.  “Time can take away from you, add to you, but what is the worse is when you are stuck in it.”

“He’s worse than you are,” Nathaniel tossed towards Ainsely.  “What is the meaning of the unnecessary words?”

“They would be necessary,” Aubrey snapped, “if you would listen to them.”  Nathaniel sent them an apologetic smile while motioning for them to continue.

Alin took a deep breath. “You are cursed because of your family.  I am cursed because of my decisions in life.  Time has a purpose in every life, and when I attempted to alter that, I was sentenced to repeat my life over and over, each time loving a woman I can never have.”

“Harsh,” Nathaniel mumbled before glancing down at her.  “Is it you?”

“Hmm?” she asked, absentmindedly while rubbing her thumb over Alin’s knuckles.

Nathaniel cleared his throat, causing her to look up at him.  “Are you the woman he loves?”

“Me?” she asked with a laugh.  “No, no, I promise, it is not me.  It is worse; believe me.  If Alin will be able to forgive me once this journey is complete, I shall be surprised.”

Alin’s grip on her hand tightened. “I will forgive you, love.  You are the only one who has heard my story and not thought ill of me.”

“You did not tell us everything did you?”  Luther asked in suspicion.

Alin shook his head.  “No, but imagine living your life over and over again.  Nothing you can do will ever change what happens.  You get to a certain part of your life, one that you can never predict, and you are thrust back into time at the mercy of whomever they left me with.  Each time, I remember what happened previously; each time, I start new once more.  How would you like to live a life as mine?”

“I would not,” Ainsely answered.  “I could not imagine the difficulties you have faced.  Each time you have finally reached your dreams, they are snatched away.  Each time you receive the love you desire, you are pushed back into time.  You are not even lucky enough to start again.  You have the same body, the same face, the same personality.  The only difference is that you are somewhere else.  How do you do it?”