Chapter 1

Struggling on her way out of the train, people kept pushing on opposite directions all around her. It had been an everyday struggle for Andi. She rummaged though her things in her bag for the magnetic card as she walked to the exit. When she found it, she quickly motioned to insert the magnetic card, but she did it at the same time with someone else. She looked from the magnetic card to the hand up to the arm then to the broad shoulders to the familiar face of the man she hasn't seen in a very long time. Maybe it was due to their busy schedules but she did miss that face.

“Go ahead.” the man said with a warm smile.

“Fancy meeting you here! How have you been doing lately?” Andi asked the man. She was talking to Darren, one of Andi’s close friends back in high school. They had this close relationship but not to the point that they considered each other best of friends. They ran around the same circle of friends back in the day—a huge one at that.

“What is one of the most eligible bachelor in the business world doing here taking the train?” Andi teased and looked around searching. “You didn’t ride with your bodyguards. Don’t tell me you ran away from them.” She teased him some more.

He just gave a chuckle. “Nah. I just wanted to take the train for a change. Besides, I don’t need any bodyguards. I can defend myself and I’m not exactly wealthy for them to kidnap or something.” Darren replied as he scratched his head as if he was embarrassed about being the son of a multibillionaire.

“Anyway, what are you doing around here? You have a business meeting or something?” Andi inquired.

“My mother told me to go to your house.” Darren answered.

“What are you going to do there? I wasn’t informed of a party. It’s not anybody’s birthday.” Andi laughed but Darren merely stared at her with a serious face. “So what are you really supposed to do there?” Andi asked again but he did not answer.

“I’ll just walk home with you.” Darren spoke instead.

“Okay.” that was all Andi could say and they both began to walk home. She no longer insisted with her question. Her home was only two blocks away from the train station. She’ll find out Darren’s agenda soon enough.

Ten minutes later, they reached Andi’s front gate. “Why don’t you come in first? I’ll just call my mom and see what you’re supposed to do here.” Andi said.

Just as she turned the knob and opened the front door, she heard loud popping noise, claps, and catcalls coming from inside the house. Andi’s face was filled with pure astonishment about what was going on as the confetti fell all over the two of them like they were a newly married couple.

“What are you all doing here? What is this all about?” Andi asked with all bewilderment.

“Andi, I know this is going to be a huge shock to you but your dad and I agreed to set you up in an arranged marriage with Darren. We already had an agreement with his parents.” Andi’s mom tried to explain to her.

“Yes, honey. Since we already know you since you were just a little baby, we decided it’s better if you and our son got married. We’ll be rest assured you’ll truly love our son and not just for his wealth. We were also hoping that maybe this would eventually turn into a happy ever after.” Darren’s mom added.

Those three words echoed in Andi’s ears over and over again.

Then, she woke up.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Oh, God, am I glad it was all just a dream.” Andi said to herself trying to shake herself to consciousness. She went about with her daily routine as she got ready for work. She made her bed, exercised a little, took a bath, went down for breakfast, then, started her way to the office.

As Andi was walking down the street to the train station, she felt like someone was watching, following her. It was weird because that was the first time she felt that way. Might be because of the dream she had earlier that morning. She halted a jeepney and was about to board it when she felt her body go off balance and began to hit the ground. She lost grip of the jeepney’s railings. She knew she was doomed. She can already see herself in a hospital bed or, worse, in a coffin. Her imagination was wild that way.

But before she could hit the ground, she felt her body collide with another body and the impact caused both bodies to crash to the ground. It was good for Andi because she only got scratches on her arm and palms. But the other person underneath her groaned in pain from the crash.

“Ouch!” the two of them moaned.

“I’m so sorry.” Andi managed to say but when she saw who it was, she was taken aback.

“Darren!” Andi exclaimed.

“Are you okay?” Darren asked, more concerned for her than himself. When he saw her scratches, he needed no more answers. Darren quickly got on his feet and helped Andi up.

“Ouch!” Andi twitched. She sprained her ankle. With Darren’s swift movements, he swept Andi off her feet and carried her in his arms.

“Whoa! What are you doing? Put me down!” Andi yelped. “Where are you taking me? Put me down!”

When they reached the curb, Darren settled her down on a bench. He reached into his bag for his first aid kit. Andi was shocked, not expecting to see anyone except maybe for doctors and paramedics to be carrying first aid kits around. He was about to apply some medication on Andi’s scratches but she yanked her hand away.

“Hey! We have to put some medication.” Darren began but somehow Andi managed a pout, looking like a little kid about to cry. Darren found it adorable.

“Come on…” Darren said and began to pull Andi’s hand but she still refused like a little kid. She sat there silently, biting her lower lip.

“Don’t tell me you’re scared.” Darren said and Andi nodded sheepishly. He patted her hand trying to comfort her. “Don’t worry. It won’t hurt. I’ll be very gentle. If it hurts, you can hit me ten times in return. Okay?” Darren said and when he tried to pull Andi’s arm again, she no longer resisted.

Andi tried to remove her attention from her bruises. “Why are you here, anyway? You’re not from around this neighborhood. Were you following me?” Andi teased to make Darren blush but it backfired when he responded, “Of course, since you are soon going to be my wife, I sure have to start taking care of you. I wouldn't want to be a widower at an early age now, would I?” Andi felt her cheeks flush a hot red. She pinched Darren’s cheek so hard that he ended up poking her scratches. “Ouch! What was that all about?” Darren asked with bewilderment yet he was amused at her at the same time.

“I guess I am not dreaming right now. It was all true. My dream… It wasn't a dream after all. It was real. We… You and I… Marriage… Oh, God! I thought I was merely dreaming. Now, it’s starting to turn into a nightmare.” Andi blabbed on trying to make sense of things.

“Wow. You mean marrying me is such a nightmare? Like you’ll be having a monster for a husband? You sure hurt my feelings.” Darren teased as he continued putting on some ointment on Andi’s arm.

“No! That’s not what I meant. I’m sorry. I just feel like I’m in some kind of fairytale. Marrying a prince and you know… I’m just still processing this reality. I’m not sure if I’ll be ready to wake up any time soon if I let myself fall deeper into this dream.” Andi said as she stared at Darren. She was still trying to make sense of things.