1

I looked up at the sky, not wanting to see the grey clouds. It's going to rain again...  I thought as I settled on the stone cold pavement. The bridge I found, somewhat provided me with shelter from the drizzle but the streams forming on the sides of the road kept up their fight. Thunder came soon after a flash of lightning, followed by a series of windows being slammed shut by cursing husbands and angry housewives.

What I wouldn't give for a bit of warmth. But as soon as that thought escaped my mind I remembered what the last time I had warmth felt like... I suddenly felt grateful for the rain. I brought up my knees to my chest, hugging them tightly, and closed my eyes, hoping that when I opened them I would be somewhere else.

"Are you okay love?" Came a voice from somewhere.

I opened my eyes and saw a tiny, old lady approaching me. I quickly stood up and started backing away.

"Don't be scared" she said with a rusty voice.

I was getting more conscious of the distance between us which was slowly closing in and decided to make a run for it. I was expecting to have shaken her off within a few corners but to my surprise, I heard her fast footsteps getting louder. She is fast for an old woman!

"L-Leave me alone! I'm fine on my own!" I screamed while running but she didn't listen. The rain was now pounding hard on my face, it was like receiving a handful of punches with every step.

"Don't run love! I'm only trying to help." She yelled

"I don't need your help! I don't need anyone's help!" I said as I tried to fasten my pace.

The wind was starting to pick up, slowing me down to almost half my speed and all my clothes were soaking wet, weighing me down even more. I was scared the wind was going to pick me up so I decided to grab onto the wire fence next to me as hard as I could. The old lady won't be able to catch me in this wind anyway. I was wrong. The wind suddenly gave me a massive push, making me let go of the wires, flying me back. My vision was blurry from the rain but as I was flying in mid air I managed to get a glimpse of her silhouette, just before everything went black.

"There, there" I heard the rusty voice again when I opened my eyes.

When I saw the old woman sitting on the edge of the bed, I sat up and backed into the wall so much that it left a bruise on my back.

"Don't be frightened love, you're in safe hands" she said.

Yes a random old woman picks me up from the street and expects me to believe that I'm in 'safe hands'.

"No! Stop lying! I am only safe on my own! Let me go!" I cried, trying to avoid thinking about what she might do to me.

"You are just frightened dear, have some rest and you should be fine" she smiled warmly.

"No, I don't want to be here, you can't keep me captive in this room! Just let me out of this... This..." Bed? I suddenly realised. I know I mentioned she was sitting in the edge of the bed but it only dawned on me now that I was in it too, I was in a clean, warm, soft bed.

"Yes dear?" She prompted me to finish.

"Listen lady, I don't know what you're up to with your clean sheets and fluffy pillows but you're not fooling me! I don't trust you! I know that all humans are greedy, selfish creatures who just want me to suffer so be aware!"

"Oh my, you must had a rough childhood!"

"What makes you think that?"

"From your looks, you must be 10, or 11 at most and you already have such bad opinions of humans"